Department of Horticulture Industry, College of Agriculture and Food Sciences, Wonkwang University1
Department of Horticulture, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Chonnam National University2
The causes of tipburn were studied on the leaves of the two strawberry cultivars ‘Seolhyang’ and ‘Red pearl’ that were grown either in soilless culture medium or in soil during 2010-2012. The Ca, Mg and K content in leaves, petiole and guttated fluids were analyzed and induction of tipburn in detached leaves was determined. During the 3-year observation, there were hardly any tipburn affected plants when grown in soil, whereas plants grown in soilless culture medium showed different sensitivity depending on the year. Analysis of discrete area of leaves, petiole sap and guttated fluid indicated the importance of Ca nutrition, although the absolute concentration of Ca may not be a crucial factor in tipburn induction. Use of detached leaves confirmed that Ca uptake and transport by positive xylem pressure are deciding factors for the occurrence of tipburn.
1. Aloni B (1986) Enhancement of leaf tipburn by restricting root growth in chinese cabbage plants. J Hortic Sci 61:509-513. doi:10.1080/14620316.1986.11515733
2. Aloni B, Pashkar T, Libel R (1986) The possible involvement of gibberellins and calcium in tipburn of Chinese cabbage: Study of intact plants and detached leaves. Plant Growth Regul 4:3-11. doi:10.1007/BF00025344
3. Barta DJ, Tibbitts TW (1986) Effect of artificial enclosure of young lettuce leaves on tipburn incidence and leaf calcium concentration. JAm Soc Hortic Sci 111:413-416.
4. Barta DJ, Tibbitts TW (1991) Calcium localization in lettuce leaves with and without tipburn: Comparison of controlled-environment and field-grown plants. J Am Soc Hortic Sci 116:870-875.
5. Barta, DJ, Tibbitts TW (2000) Calcium localization and tipburn development in lettuce leaves during early enlargement. J Am Soc Hortic Sci 125:294-298.
6. Bradfield EG, Guttridge CG (1979) The dependence of calcium transport and leaf tipburn in strawberry on relative humidity and nutrient solution concentration. Ann Bot 43:363-372. doi:10.1093/oxfordjournals.aob.a085644
7. Choi JH, Chung GC, Suh SR (1997) Effect of night humidity on the vegetative growth and the mineral composition of tomato and strawberry plants. Sci Hortic 70:293-299. doi:10.1016/S0304-4238(97)00055-1
8. Choi JM, Latigui A, Lee CW (2013) Visual symptom and tissue nutrient contents in dry matter and petiole sap for diagnostic criteria of phosphorus for ‘Seolhyang’ strawberry cultivation. Hortic Environ Biotech 54:52-57. doi:10.1007/s13580-013-0130-y
9. Fugel R, Carl R, Schieber A (2004) A novel approach to quality and authenticity control of fruit products using fractionation and characterization of cell wall polysaccharides. Food Chem 87:141-150. doi:10.1016/j.foodchem.2003.10.031
10. Guttridge CG, Bradfield EG, Holder R (1981) Dependence of calcium transport into strawberry leaves on positive pressure in the xylem. Ann Bot 48:473-480. doi:10.1093/oxfordjournals.aob.a086151
11. He Y, Terabayashi S, Namiki T (1998) The effects of leaf position and time of sampling on nutrient concentration in the petiole sap from tomato plants cultured hydroponically. J Jpn Soc Hortic Sci 67:331-336. doi:10.2503/jjshs.67.331
12. Ikeda H, Urushima M, Oi S, Toi K, Oka J, Inubushi Y, Moriyama T, Wada T (1998) Diagnosis and recommendation integrated system by sap analysis for horticultural crops. 1) A study on the standardization of preparing samples for analysis. J Jpn Soc Hortic Sci 67: 413-419. doi:10.2503/jjshs.67.413
13. Lee SU, Jang HH, Choi JM, Kim DY (2015) Influence of fertilizer type on physiological responses during vegetative growth in ‘Seolhyang’strawberry. Korean J Hortic Sci Technol 33:39-46. doi:10.2503/jjshs.67.413
14. Malone M, Herron M, Morales MA (2002) Continuous measurement of macronutrient ions in the transpiration stream of intact plants using the meadow spittlebug coupled with ion chromatography. Plant Physiol 130:1436-1442. doi:10.1104/pp.007740
15. Palencia P, Martinez F, Ribeiro E, Pestana M, Gama F, Saavedra T, de Varennes A, Correia PJ (2010) Relationship between tipburn and leaf mineral composition in strawberry. Sci Hortic 126:242-246. doi:10.1016/j.scienta.2010.07.024
16. San Bautista A, Lopez-Galarza S, Martinez A, Pascual B, Maroto JV (2009) Influence of cation proportions of the nutrient solution on tipburn incidence in strawberry plants. J Plant Nutr 32:1527-1539. doi:10.1080/01904160903093836
17. Tipburn Incidence in Strawberry Leaves in Relation to Calcium Concentration Horticultural Science and Technology 543
18. Saure MC (1998) Causes of the tipburn disorder in leaves of vegetables. Sci Hortic 76:131-147. doi:10.1016/S0304-4238(98)00153-8
19. Wi SG, Chung BY, Lee YG, Yang DJ, Bae HJ (2011) Enhanced enzymatic hydrolysis of rapeseed straw by popping pretreatment for bioethanol production. Bioresources Technol 102:5788-5793. doi:10.1016/j.biortech.2011.02.031
20. Yamazaki K (1978) Hydroponics. Hakuysa, Tokyo, Japan