Department of Horticultural Science, Kyungpook National University1
Department of Horticultural Bioscience, Pusan National University3
Faculty of Horticulture & Landscaping, Catholic University of Daegu4
A new Doritaenopsis cultivar ‘Hwasu 5205’ was bred by Kyungpook National University, Korea, which produces young plants through tissue culture techniques. The new cultivar ‘Hwasu 5205’, showing the phenotype of vivid red and large flower type characteristics, was derived from crossing between Phalaenopsis Happy Valentine and Doritaenopsis Happy Rose. An elite individual, number ‘02-05-205’ later named as ‘Hwasu 5205’, was selected among about 300 individual progenies after more than 2 years of intensive selection covering vegetative and flowering distinctiveness. In year 2004-2005, 1st and 2nd characteristic analyses were carried out through performance and uniformity tests. ‘Hwasu 5205’ produces vivid red (RHS #PN78B) flowers of incurved type with large size, of 9.2 and 12.0 cm in flower height and width, respectively. Leaves of ‘Hwasu 5205’ grow horizontally and are about 24.3cm in length and 8.5cm in width, respectively. This cultivar possesses no genetic variation. It can be propagated rapidly in vitro and is easy to grow due to its vigorous growth habit. ‘Hwasu 5205’ was registered (Reg. #: 2915) to Korea Seed & Variety Service (KSVS) on 1st December, 2009 and the PBR(plant breeder's right)is currently controlled by Sangmiwon Orchid Company, Korea.
1. Been, C.G. 2003. Continuous production of Phalaenopsis clones by basal shoot culture. Korean J. plant Biotechnol. 30:375-380.
2. Been, C.G., J.K. Kim, and S.K. Kim. 2008. Development of a new Phalaenopsis cultivar ‘Little Dew’ with white miniature type flowers. Flower Res. J. 16:149-151.
3. Been, C.G., J.K. Kim, and C.W. Noh 2011. Development of a Phalaenopsis (P. Blume), ‘Yellow Cream’ with striped yellow flower. Flower Res. J. 19:177-180.
4. Ichihashi, S. and M. Mii. 2006. Phalaenopsis culture and production. Seibundosinkousya, Tokyo, Japan.
5. Joung, H.Y., Y.R. Lee, M.S. Kim, J.H. Lim, H.K. Shin, H.R. Cho, H.K. Rhee, and S.K. Park. 2010. New Phalaenopsis ‘Sweet Pinky’ of dark pink medium petal with fragrance. Korean J. Hortic. Sci. Technol. 28:899-901.
6. Joung, H.Y., Y.R. Lee, M.S. Kim, J.H. Lim, H.K. Shin, H.K. Rhee, and S.K. Park. 2011. New miniature Phalaenopsis ‘Snow Angel’ having white flower with pink lip as pot flower. Flower Res. J. 19:168-171.
7. Kim, M.S., Y.R. Lee, H.R. Cho, H.K. Rhee, J.H. Lim, S.K. Park, H.K. Shim, and J.J. Shin. 2009. Breeding of small type and yellow colored Phalaenopsis ‘Yellow Dream’. Korean J. Breed. Sci. 41:145-148.
8. Kim, M.S., Y.R. Lee, H.R. Cho, H.K. Rhee, J.H. Lim, and H.K. Shin. 2007. A new Phalaenopsis hybrid ‘White Angel’ with white petals and red rip. Korean J. Breed Sci. 39:387-388.
9. Kim, M.S., Y.R. Lee, H.K. Rhee, S.K. Park, H.K. Shin, H.Y. Jung, and J.H. Lim. 2011. A new hybrid, dark pink spotted type Phalaenopsis ‘Pink Marble’. Korean J. Hortic. Sci. Technol. 29:503-506.
10. Korea Seed & Variety Service (KSVS). 2004. Guide lines for characteristics for application and registration of new variety in Phalaenopsis. Anyang, Korea. p. 1-58.
11. Lee, Y.R., M.S. Kim, J.Y. Kim, and M.I. Jeong. 2006a. A new Phalaenopsis cultivar, ‘Yellow Star’ with brown spot. Korean J. Breed. Sci. 38:193-194.
12. Lee, Y.R., M.S. Kim, J.Y. Kim, and M.I. Jeong. 2006b. A new Phalaenopsis cultivar, ‘Pink Dream’ with dark pink flower. Korean J. Breed. Sci. 38:195-196.
13. Lee, Y.R., M.S. Kim, J.Y. Kim, and M.I. Jeong. 2007. A new Phalaenopsis cultivar, ‘Orange Dream’ with orange color. Korean J. Breed. Sci. 39:504-505.
14. Ministry for agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (MAFRA). 2013. The present condition of cultivation of flowers. Gwachon, Korea.
15. Park, N.E., B.G. Son, H.Y. Kim, and K.B. Lim. 2015. Breeding of Phalaenopsis ‘SM 333’ with mini multiple flower formation. Korean J. Hortic. Sci. Technol. 33:149-154.
16. Park, Y.S., S.H. Lim, S.D. Lee, and I.T. Park. 2009. A new Phalaenopsis cultivar ‘Jaha’ with large purple petal. Flower Res. J. 17:205-207.
17. Rural Development Administration (RDA). 2003. Manual for agricultural investigation. Suwon, Korea.
18. Yea, B.W., M.S. Kim, Y.R. Lee, P.H. Park, and P.M. Park. 2012. Breeding of medium type and dark-pink colored Phalaenopsis ‘Dimple Pink’. Flower Res. J. 20:205-257.
19. Yea, B.W., M.S. Kim, Y.R. Lee, P.H. Park, P.M. Park, and S.K. Park. 2014. Breeding of medium white colored Phalaenopsis ‘Ice Angel’. Flower Res. J. 22:106-110.