Department of Horticulture Industry, Wonkwang University1
Institute of Life Science and Natural Resources, Wonkwang University2
This study was carried out to investigate seedling quality, growth characteristics and yield of hot pepper (Capsicum annum) grown in the open field according to seedling growth periods (SGPs) of 45, 55, 65, 75, and 85 days. Before planting, plant height, node number, leaf area, fresh and dry weight of seedlings were high in longer-SGP treatments, the T/R ratio was high in SGP 45 and SGP 85 treatments compared with other treatments. At 10 weeks after planting, plant height, stem diameter and leaf area of plants treated with SGP 45 and SGP 55 were significantly higher compared to other treatments. Fresh and dry weight of the plant with SGP 45 treatment was greatest, however, the dry matter percentage with SGP 45 was low compared to other treatments. Fruiting number and weight per plant were highest in SGP 45 treatment. Shorter SGP treatments such as 45 and 55 days gave greatly increased total weight of ripened fruit at 18 weeks after planting. Our results showed that SGP for hot pepper grown in the open field influences plant growth parameters and marketable yield, so that SGP 45 to SGP 55 is optimum to cultivate hot pepper plant.
1. Bae, J.H., P.H. Jeong, I.H. Yu, H.O. Boo, and Y.G. Ku. 2013. Effect of seedling age on plant growth chracteristics, photosynthetic rate and antioxidant enzymes of tomato grown in soil culture. J. Korean Soc. People Plants Environ. 16:407-413.
2. Ito, T. 1992. Present state of transplant production practices in Japans horticultural industry. p. 65-82. In: K. Kurata and T. Kozai (eds.). Transplant production system. Kluwer Academic Publishers, The Netherlands.
3. Ibrahim, H.M., F.O. Olasantan, and R.O. Oyewale. 2013. Age of seedling at transplanting influenced growth and fruit yield of sweet pepper (Capsicum annum L. cv. Rodo). Net J. Agric. Sci. 1:107-110.
4. Jeong, B.R. 2002. Current status and problems in the transplant production of floral crops. Korean J. Hortic. Sci. Technol. 20:197-204.
5. Kemble, J.M., J.M. Davis, G. Gardner, and D.C. Sanders. 1994. Spacing, root cell volume, and age affect production and economics of compact-growth-habit tomatoes. HortScience 29:1460-1464.
6. Kim, C.K., J.Y. Oh, and S.J. Kang. 2001. Effect of plug cell size and seedling age on growth and yield of chinese chives (Allium tuberosum R.). J. Korean Soc. Hortic. Sci. 42:167-170.
7. Kim, Y.B., Y.H. Hwang, and W.K. Shin. 1999. Effects of root container size seedling age on growth and yield of tomato. J. Korean Soc. Hortic. Sci. 40:163-165.
8. Korea Rural Economic Institute (KREI). 2011. Research report. A Study on the current state and development strategies of raising seedling industry. p. 85. (in Korean)
9. Lee, E.J. and J.K. Suh. 2009. Effect of watering control on growth and bulb size of plug seedling in onion (Allium cepa L.) set production. Korean J. Hortic. Sci. Technol. 27:167-173.
10. Lee, J.W. and K.Y. Kim. 1999. Effect of seedling age and transplanting depth on growth and yield of tomato. J. Korean Soc. Hortic. Sci. 40:412-415.
11. Leskovar, D.I., D.J. Cantliffe, and P.J. Stoffella. 1991. Growth and yield of tomato plants in response to age transplant. J. Am. Soc. Hortic. Sci. 116:416-420.
12. Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (MAFRA). 1997. Development and application of a standard greenhouse model and of an automated system of plug seedling production.
13. Shin, Y.A. 1997. Studies on optimal seedling quality for mechanical transplanting and growth regulation in plug seedling of hot pepper. Ph. D. thesis. Konkuk Univ.
14. Shin, Y.A., K.Y. Kim, Y.C. Kim, T.C. Seo, J.H. Chung, and H.Y. Park. 2000. Effect of plug cell size and seedling age on seedling quality and early growth after transplanting of red pepper. J. Korean Soc. Hortic. Sci. 41:49-52.
15. Yeoung, Y.R., J.Y. Jeon, and S.Y. Shim. 2002. Characteristics of root development and seedling quality during pepper seedling growth in copper-coated plug trays. J. Korean Soc. Hortic. Sci. 43:151-154.
16. Yu, Y.M., J.W. Lee, K.Y. Kim, Y.C. Kim, S.G. Lee, T.C. Seo, and H.K. Yun. 2002. Effect of seedling age and plug cell size on seedling quality, lateral vine development, and yield in white-spine cucumber. J. Korean Soc. Hortic. Sci. 20:5-9.
17. Zhang, C.H., I.J. Chun, Y.C. Park, and I.S. Kim. 2003. Effect on the inhibition of over-growth of plug seedling by triazole-type growth regulator treatment. J. Bio-Environ. Control 12:139-146.