Gyeongnam Agricultural Research and Extension Services1
Department of Horticultural Bioscience, Pusan National University2
Powdery mildew (PM) caused by Podosphaera aphanis is a major disease that can result in significant yield losses in strawberry (Fragaria × ananassa Duchesne). For preventing PM, pesticides are usually applied in strawberry. In this study, molecular markers were developed to increase breeding efficiency of PM-resistance cultivars by marker-assisted selection (MAS). An F2 population derived from a cross between PM-resistance ‘Seolhyang’ and PM-susceptibility ‘Akihime’ was evaluated for disease resistance to PM and RAPD (random amplification of polymorphic DNA)-BSA (bulked segregant analysis). Among 200 RAPD primers tested, OPE10 primer amplified a 311bp-band present in with 331bp. Sequence alignment performed for searching polymorphisms and six single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) were found in amplified regions. To develop polymorphic marker for distinguishing between resistant and susceptible, RAPD was converted to cleaved amplified polymorphic sequence (CAPS) marker. Among restriction enzymes associated with six SNPs, Eae I (Y/GGCCR) was successfully digested to 231bp in susceptible. The results suggest that the selected CAPS marker could be used for increasing efficiency of selecting powdery mildew resistant strawberry in breeding system.
1. Chenna, R., H. Sugawara, T. Kioke, R. Lopez, T.J. Gibson, D.G. Higgins, and J.D. Thompson. 2003. Multiple sequence alignment with the Clustal series of program. Nucleic Acids Res. 31: 3497-3500.
2. Cho, K.H., I.R. Rho, Y.S. Cho, and P.H. Park. 2008. Identification of Korean strawberry cultivars using DNA markers. Korean J. Breed. Sci. 40:401-407.
3. Evans, K.M., C.M. James. 2003. Identification of SCAR markers linked to Pl-w mildew resistance in apple. Theor. Appl. Genet. 106:1178-1183.
4. Foulongne, M., T. Pascal, F. Pfeiffer and J. Kervella. 2003. QTLs for powdery mildew resistance in peach x Prunus davidiana crosses: consistency across generations and environments. Mol. Breed. 12:33-50.
5. Hsu, C.S., R. Watkins, A.T. Bolton and L.P.S. Spangelo. 1969. Inheritance of resistance to powdery mildew in the cultivated strawberry. Can. J. Genet. Cytol. 11:426-438.
6. James, C.M. 2004. Identification of molecular markers linked to the mildew resistance gene Pl-d in apple. Theor. Appl. Genet. 110:175-181.
7. Je, H.J., Y.O. Park, S.C. Kim, J.H. Hwang, Y.J. Lee, B.G. Son, and Y.H. Park. 2009. Evaluation of genetic relationships among persimmon cultivars introduced and indigenous in Korea using RAPD. Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol. 27:448-455.
8. Kim, D.Y., K.D. Ko, H.K. Yun, M.K. Yun, J.H. Kwak, T.I. Kim. 2008. Characteristics of growth, yield and disease/pest occurrence among major strawberry cultivars for organic forcing and semi-forcing culture. J. Bio-Environ. Control 17:336-341.
9. Konieczny, A., F.M. Ausubel. 1993. A procedure for mapping arabidopsis mutations using co-dominant ecotype-specific PCR-based markers. Plant. J. 4:403-410.
10. Korbin, M.U. 2011. Molecular approaches to disease resistance in Fragaria spp. J. Plant Prot. Res. 51:60-65.
11. Lifshitz, C., N. Shalit, S. Slotzky, Z. Tanami, Y. Elad, N. Dai. 2008. Heritability Studies and DNA markers for powdery mildew resistance in strawberry (Fragaria × ananassa Duchesne). Acta Hortic. 842:561-564.
12. Linde, M., A. Hattendorf, H. Kaufmann and Th. Debener. 2006. Powdery mildew resistance in roses: QTL mapping in different environments using selective genotyping. Theor. Appl. Genet. 113:1081-1092.
13. Maas, J. 1998. Compendium of strawberry diseases. Amer. Phytopathol. Soc. Press. St. Paul, MN. p. 42-43, 66-67.
14. Michelmore, R.W., I. Paran, and R.V. Kesseli. 1991. Identification of markers linked to disease-resistance genes by bulked segregant analysis: a rapid method to detect markers in specific genomic regions by using segregating populations. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 88:9828-9832.
15. Ministry for Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries(MIFAFF). 2011. Fisheries production statistics. (http://www.mafra.go.kr)
16. Nelson, M.D., W.D. Gubler, and D.V. Shaw. 1995. Inheritance of powdery mildew resistance in greenhouse-grown versus field-grown Californian strawberry progenies. Phytopathology 85:421-424.
17. Paran, I., and R.W. Michelmore. 1993. Development of reliable PCR-based markers linked to downy mildew resistance genes in lettuce. Theor. Appl. Genet. 85:985-993.
18. Simson, D.W. 1987. The inheritance of mildew resistance in ever-bearing and day-neutral strawberry seedlings. J. Hortic. Sci. 62:329-334.
19. Yamamoto, Y., J.I. Matsumoto, K. Tamaki, T. Sugimoto, K. Shiwaku, T. Kobayashi. 2003. Construction of linkage maps and selection of DNA markers for powdery mildew resistance in strawberries. Bull. Hyogo Pref. Fish. Technol. Inst. 51:7-12.
20. Zhang, Y., and J. R. Stommel. 2001. Development of SCAR and CAPS markers linked to the gene in tomato. Crop Sci. 41:1602-1608.