Department of Environmental Horticulture, College of Bio-resource Science, Dankook University1
This study was carried out to investigate conveyance environment during shipping export to Japan and the optimum pre-treatment of cut Dendranthema grandiflorum ‘Baekma’. Shipping from Korea to Japan, which usually takes three to five days, requires keeping the flower at the ideal temperature. When inspection took place in Japan, the ideal temperature was lost and deterioration began. Once the ideal temperature is lost, deterioration takes place. The results of this work showed that vase life was extended by treatment Chrysal RVB and NaOCl compared to the control (distilled water), and Chrysal RVB was used to maintain the flower from bud to full bloom. Bacterial growth was not observed after pretreatment with NaOCl or ClO2. However, ClO2 pre-treatment was observed to affect the early growth period of the bacteria. The chlorophyll content was the highest after Chrysal RVB or NaOCl pretreatment compared to the other treatments. Therefore, these results support pretreatment with NaOCl and Chrysal RVB of Dendranthema grandiflorum ‘Baekma’ for export to Japan.
1. Guo, W.M., W. Zeng, and F.D. Chen. 1997. Regulation of ethylene on senescence of cut chrysanthemum flower. J. Nanjing Agric. Univ. 20:24-29.
2. Kang, M.J., J.W. Yoon, J.H. Lee, and A.K. Lee. 2014. Maintenance of freshness as affected by pre-treatment in cut spray Dendranthema grandiflorum ‘Radost’ for export. Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol. 32(II):175. (Abstr.)
3. Karimi, M. and M.H. Asil. 2010. Role of benzyladenine on vase life and quality of cut lsianthus flowers. Hort. Environ. Biotechnol. 51:284-287.
4. Kazemipour S., D. Hashemabadi, and B. Kaviani. 2013. Effect of silver nanoparticles on the vase life and quality of cut chrysanthemum(Chrysanthemum morifolium L.) flower. Euro. J. Exp. 3:298-302.
5. Kim, S.J., S.K. Lee, and K.S. Kim. 2012. Current research trend of postharvest technology for chrysanthemum. Korean J. Plant Res. 25:156-168.
6. Lee, C.H. 2011. Growth and flowering of cut spray chrysanthemum ‘Charming Eye’ and ‘Pink Pride’ by daminozide. Flower Res. J. 19:89-95.
7. Lee, H.E., J.W. Lee, and J.S. Lee. 2009. Influence of postharvest hot water dipping on quality and vase life of cut chrysanthemums. Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol. 27(I):144. (Abstr.)
8. Lee, J.H. and A.K. Lee. 2013. Vase life and quality as affected by pre-treatment and shipping temperature in cut spray Dendranthema grandiflorum ‘Leopard’. J. Korean Soc. People Plants Environ. 16:281-285.
9. Lee, J.H. and A.K. Lee. 2014. Analysis of conveyance environment in cut chrysanthemum during ship export to japan. http:// www.yonhapnews.co.kr.
10. Leeson, T., RE. McNiel, JS. Snyder, S. Bale, R. Terry Jones, and WC. Dunwell. 2007. Post-harvest vaselife evaluation on Hydrangea arborescens ‘Annabelle’. UK Nursery and Landscape Program. 37.
11. Lee, Y.B. and W.S. Kim. 2014. Anrimicrobial effect of chlorie dioxide in vase life of cut rose ‘Beast’. Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol. 32:60-65.
12. Lim, J.H., J.Y. Seo, and M.S. Shin. 2013. Characteristics that affect Japanese conseumer preferences for chrysanthemum. Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol. 31:640-647.
13. Ministry of Finance Japan (MFJ). 2011. Changes in import by cut flowers. http://www.mof.go.jp
14. Park, Y.Y., H.Y. Kim, and M.S. Cho. 2000. Effect of sucrose, germicides and ABA in the preservatives on postharvest quality of cut chrysanthemum ‘Kyoungsubang’. Korean J. Life Sci. 10:591-597.
15. Petridou, M., C. Voyiatzi, and D. Voyiatzis. 2001. Methanol, ethanol and other compounds retard leaf senescence and improve the vase life and quality of cut chrysanthemum flowers. Postharvest Biol. Technol. 23:79-83.
16. RDA (Rural Developement Administration). 2014. Profit model based on branding of luxury export item,domestic chrysanthemum cultivar ‘Baekma’. www. rda.go.kr.
17. Shin, H.K., J.H. Lim, H.R. Choi, H.K. Rhee, M.S. Kim, C.S. Bang, Y.A. Kim, and Y.J. Kim. 2005. A new standard chrysanthemum cultivar, ‘Baekma’ with large white flower. Korean J. Breed. 37:119-120.
18. Suh, J.K., K.O. Kim, J.H. Kim, J.A. Jung, and Y.S. Kwon. 2013. Effect of pre-treatments on freshness maintenance of ‘Baekseol’ cut chrysanthemum. Flower Res J. 21:133-136.
19. Suh, J.N. and B.H. Kwack. 1994. Effects of GA and benzy-laminopurine on leaf-yellowing of cut chrysanthemum during storage. J. Kor. Soc. Hort. Sci. 35:251-257.
20. Yoo, Y.K. and Y.S. Roh. 2012. Growth and cut flower quality as affected by irrigation and nutrient level during short day treatment in Dendranthema grandiflorum ‘Baekma’. Flower Res. J. 20:211-217.
21. Woolf, AB., S. Combes, M. Petley, SR. Olsson, M. Wohlers, and R.C. Jackman. 2012. Hot water treatments reduce leaf yellowing and extend vase life of Asiatic hybrid lilies. Postharvest Biol. Technol. 64:9-18.