Youngyang Pepper Experiment Station, Gyeongbuk ARES1
This study was conducted to examine the effect of tunnel covering materials on the growth and yield of red pepper in paddy fields. Materials for tunnel coverings included illite non-woven fabric and P.E film. Air and soil temperature were higher in the illite non-woven tunnel and P.E film tunnel by 7-8°C and 2-3°C, respectively, compared to no covering. Relative humidity in those treatments was also higher than with no covering. The growth and yield were higher with illite non-woven tunnels and P.E film tunnels than with no covering. In particular, the yield was 30% and 26% higher in illite non-woven tunnels and P.E film tunnels, respectively, than with no covering.
1. Hamamoto, H.H., Nakamura and H. Isimata. 1989. Effects of row covers on the soil characteristics under the row cover. J. Agr. Met. 47:15-18.
2. Hemphill, D.D. and G.D. Crabtree. 1988. Growth response and weed control in slicing cucumber under row cover. J. Am. Soc. Hortic. Sci. 113:41-45.
3. Hamamoto, H. 1994a. Cover effects of spunbonded polypropylene mulch and row cover on spinach growth and environment. J. Agr. Met. 49:279-283. (in Japanese)
4. Hamamoto, H. 1994b. Growth analysis of spring spinach under the row cover. Environ. Control in Biol. 32:87-93. (in Japanese)
5. Ikeya, H.S., K.C. Ninoyama and C.S. Inada. 1975. Effect of perforated film cultivation in some vegetavles. Ann. Res. Rep. Sizoka Exp. Sta. 18:23-27.
6. Jimbo, N., S. Aoyagi and M. Masakazu, 1992. Effect of row covers on growth of winter to spring harvesting Japanese radish cultivated under plastic tunnels. Bull. Chiba Agric. Exp. Stn. 33:67-75. (in Japanese)
7. Kang, Y.K., M.K. Yon, D.Y. Kim, and S.Y. Chae. 2007. Effect of row covering of non-woven fabric on growth and components if Chinese cabbage (Brassica campestris M..) in spring. Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol. 25 (SUPPL. I).
8. Loy, J.B. and O.S. Walls. 1982. A comparison of slitted polyethylene and spunbonded polyester for plant row covers. HortScience 17:405-407.
9. Okata. E.K., and O.S. Igarasi. 1987. Growth and environmental characteristics under low covers. J. Agr. meteorol. 46-47. (Abstr.)
10. Seong, K.C., J.S. Lee, and J.W. Lee. 2002. Effect of row covers on the growth and yield of broccoli during spring culture. J. Bio-Env. Con. 11(4):179-180.
11. Yamazaki, K.B. 1962. Studies on flower bud differentiation of some vegetables. Ann. Res. Rep. NRIVOPT. p. 88-141.
12. Wells, O.S. and J.B. Loy. 1985. Intensive vegetable production with row covers. HortScience 20:822-826.
13. Westcott, M.P., N.W. Callan, and M.L. Knot. 1991. Planting date anc row cover interactions in broccoli production in cold climates. HortScience 26:1221
14. Youngyang Pepper Experiment Station (YPES) 2012. Annual subvey report of red pepper current status. www.pepper.gba.go.kr