Sangmiwon Orchid, Tean1
Department of Horticultural Bioscience, Pusan National University2
Department of Horticultural Science, Kyungpook National University3
A new Phalaenopsis cultivar ‘SM 333’ was bred by Sangmiwon Orchid, Korea, which produces young plants through tissue culture techniques. The new cultivar ‘SM 333’, showing the phenotype of multiflora with pink color and small, multibranching-type characteristics, was derived from crossing between Phalaenopsis ‘Odoriko’ and ‘Be Tris’. An elite individual number ‘02-03-33’ later termed ‘SM 333’ was selected among about 300 individual progenies, based on an intensive selection process covering vegetative and flowering distinctiveness over more than 2 years. In year 2004-2005, the 1st and 2nd characteristic analyses were carried out through performance and uniformity tests. ‘SM 333’ shows flower color that is bright clean pink (RHS # RP69D) and flower shape that is formal type with 5.0 and 5.8 cm in flower height and width, respectively. ‘SM 333’ is regarded as raceme flower type suitable for the small casual flower market. The leaves of ‘SM 333’ grow horizontally and about 20.8 cm in length and 6.5 cm in width. This cultivar also possesses no genetic variation, and is amenable to fast in vitro propagation and easy growth due to its vigorous growth habit. This ‘SM333’ was registered (Reg. # 2916) with Korea Seed & Variety Service (KSVS) on 1st December, 2009, and the plant breeder’s right is currently controlled by Sangmiwon Orchid Company, Korea.
1. Been, C.G. 2003. Continuous production of Phalaenopsis clones by basal shoot culture. Korean J. Plant Biotechnol. 30:375-380.
2. Been, C.G., J.K. Kim, and Y.C. Cho. 2007. A Phalaenopsis cultivar ‘Shintaeguek’ with white flowers. Flower Res. J. 15:136-138.
3. Been, C.G., J.K. Kim, and S.K. Kim. 2008. Development of a new Phalaenopsis cultivar ‘Little Dew’with white miniature type flowers. Flower Res. J. 16:149-151.
4. Been, C.G., J.K. Kim, S.K. Kim, and C.W. Noh. 2011. Development of a Phalaenopsis, ‘Yellow Cream’ with striped yellow flower. Flower Res. J. 19:177-180.
5. Ichihashi, S. and M. Mii. 2006. Phalaenopsis culture and production. Seibundosinkousya, Tokyo, Japan.
6. Joung, H.Y., Y.R. Lee, M.S. Kim, J.H. Lim, H.K. Shin, H.R. Cho, H.K. Rhee, and S.K. Park. 2010. New Phalaenopsis ‘Sweet Pinky’ of dark pink medium petal with fragrance. Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol. 28:899-901.
7. Joung, H.Y., Y.R. Lee, M.S. Kim, J.H. Lim, H.K. Shin, H.K. Rhee, and S.K. Park. 2011. New miniature Phalaenopsis ‘Snow Angel’ having white flower with pink lip as pot flower. Flower Res. J. 19:168-171.
8. Kim, M.S., Y.R. Lee, H.R. Cho, H.K. Rhee, J.H. Lim, and H.K. Shin. 2007. A new Phalaenopsis hybrid ‘White Angel’with white petals and red rip. Korean J. Breed Sci. 39:387-388.
9. Kim, M.S., Y.R. Lee, H.R. Cho, H.K. Rhee, J.H. Lim, S.K. Park, H.K. Shin, and I.J. Choi. 2009. Breeding of small type and yellow colored Phalaenopsis ‘Yellow Dream’. Korean J. Breed Sci. 41:145-148.
10. Kim, M.S., Y.R. Lee, H.K. Rhee, S.K. Park, H.K. Shin, H.Y. Jung, and J.H. Lim. 2011. A new hybrid, dark pink spotted type Phalaenopsis ‘Pink Marble’. Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol. 29:503-506.
11. Korea Seed & Variety Service (KSVS). 2004. Guide lines for characteristics for application and registration of new variety in Phalaenopsis (P. Blume). KSVS, Anyang, Korea p. 1-58.
12. Lee, Y.R., M.S. Kim, J.Y. Kim, and M.I. Jeong. 2006a. A new Phalaenopsis cultivar, ‘Yellow Star’ with brown spot. Korean J. Breed Sci. 38:193-194.
13. Lee, Y.R., M.S. Kim, J.Y. Kim, and M.I. Jeong. 2006b. A new Phalaenopsis cultivar, ‘Pink Dream’ with dark pink flower. Korean J. Breed Sci. 38:195-196.
14. Lee, Y.R., M.S. Kim, J.Y. Kim, and M.I. Jeong. 2007. A new Phalaenopsis cultivar, ‘Orange Dream’ with orange color. Korean J. Breed Sci. 39:504-505.
15. Ministry for Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (MAFRA). 2013. The present condition of cultivation of flowers. MAFRA, Gwacheon, Korea.
16. Park, Y.S., S.H. Lim, and S.D. Lee, and I.T. Park. 2009. A new Phalaenopsis cultivar ‘Jaha’ with large purple petal. Flower Res. J. 17:205-207.
17. Rural Development Administration (RDA). 2003. Manual for agricultural investigation. RDA, Suwon, Korea.
18. Yea, B.W., M.S. Kim, Y.R. Lee, P.H. Park, and P.M. Park. 2012. Breeding of medium type and dark-pink colored Phalaenopsis ‘Dimple Pink’. Flower Res. J. 20:205-257.
19. Yea, B.W., M.S. Kim, Y.R. Lee, P.H. Park, P.M. Park, and S.K. Park. 2014. Breeding of medium white colored Phalaenopsis ‘Ice Angel’. Flower Res. J. 22:106-110.