Jeollanam-do Agricultural Research & Extension Services1
‘Hei-G’ is a new tomato cultivar originating from the cross of two inbred lines, the maternal plant TKUI-3 separated from ‘Kame’ in 2007, and the paternal plant AL-1 developed by pedigree breeding. The new cultivar was registered as ‘Hei-G’ named ‘JTB026 (Jeonnam-2)’ based on characteristics and yield trials carried out in the spring of 3 years, from 2010 to 2012. ‘Hei-G’ is an indeterminate type with strong plant vigor. The fruit is round and the ripening fruit is blackish red. The average fruit weight of ‘Hei-G’ is about 43.4 g, and its marketable yield is 4,944 kg･10 a-1. The lycopene content of ‘Hei-G’ (11.8 mg･100 g-1) is higher than that of other tomatoes (e.g., cv. Rapido, 3.1 mg). In addition, ‘Hei-G’ is suitable for environment-friendly protected cultivation because of its resistance to powdery mildew.
1. Agricultural and Fishery Marketing Corporation (AFMC). 2002. Agricultural and fishery trade information 8(166):15-27.
2. Edward, C.T. 1986. Tomato breeding, p. 135-171. In: M.J. Bassett (ed.). Breeding vegetable crops. The Avi Publishing Co., Inc. Westport, CT, USA.
3. Jeong, H.B., M.A. Cho, I.R. Rho, N.J. Kang, H.J. Jeong, and H.T. Kim. 2004. ‘Tamnara’, a new full ripe tomato for protected cultivation. Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol. 22:25-28.
4. Jeong, H.B., I.R. Rho, T.W. Cheong, K.H. Kang, S.C. Lee, and H.T. Kim. 2006. Breeding of full-ripe tomato ‘Tamsrye’ for protected cultivation. Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol. 24:194-197.
5. Jeong, H.B., I.R. Rho, M.A. Cho, J.W. Cheong, and H.T. Kim. 2007. ‘Aragaya’, a new cluster-type tomato for protected cultivation. Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol. 22:192-194.
6. Korean Seed Association. 2013. Seed crop imports of vegetables. http://kosaseed.or.kr.
7. Olives Barba, A.I., M. Cámara Hurtado, M.C. Sánchez Mata, V. Fernández Ruiz, and M. López Sáenz de Tejada. 2006. Application of a UV-vis detection HPLC method for a rapid determination of lycopene and β-carotene in vegetables. Food Chem. 95:328-336.
8. Rural Development Administration (RDA). 2007. The guideline of characteristics for application and registration of new varieties in vegetable (tomato). RDA, Suwon, Korea.
9. Rural Development Administration (RDA). 2012a. Interrobang. RDA, Suwon, Korea.
10. Rural Development Administration (RDA). 2012b. The manual of investigation for agricultural science and technology. RDA, Suwon, Korea.
11. Seo, J.B., G.H. Shin, M.H. Jang, Y.S. Lee, H.J. Jung, B.K. Yoon, and K.J. Choi. 2013. Breeding of black tomato ‘Hei’, for protected cultivation. Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol. 31:833-836.
12. Sugawara, S. 1994. Tomato breeding. Agr. Hort. 69:1307-1313.
13. Sumida, A. 1994. The study on the high quality of tomato. Agr. Hort. 69:375-376.