Department of Environmental Health Science, KonKuk University1
Department of Vocational Education & Workforce Development, Seoul National University2
This study was conducted to provide a job analysis for, and assess the job performance of horticultural therapists, as well as examine future educational needs. To this end, a chart developed using the DACUM method was chosen as the appropriate tool for the job analysis of horticultural therapists (Study 1). Based on the chart, a survey using an evaluation form was produced to investigate the current level of job performance and future required level of horticultural therapists (Study 2). A total of 8 duties and 45 tasks were classified to examine job performance, based on analysis of the DACUM Council (Study 1). These duties include A. Decide execution organization for horticultural therapy (HT) program, B. Diagnose and assess clients before starting the HT program, C. Plan HT program, D. Develop HT program, E. Prepare to implement HT program for each session, F. Implement HT program for each session, G. Implement overall assessment for HT program, and H. Develop oneself as a horticultural therapist. Their duties were broken down further into five to eight tasks per duty, totaling 45 tasks. Based on the horticultural therapist job performance sheet developed through this process, an assessment of the current job level of horticultural therapists was performed and future required level were examined (Study 2). The evaluation forms were sent to 779 horticultural therapists with level 1 or 2 certification via email or mail delivery. The analysis of 242 questionnaires (31.1%) revealed that horticultural therapists with level 1 certificates have a significantly higher job performance level for 34 of the 45 tasks. Regarding future required level, 20 out of 45 tasks were assessed as higher for level 1 horticultural therapists than level 2. In addition, a Borich formula was utilized to identify the priority of educational needs for the 45 horticultural therapist tasks. The results revealed the following top three tasks: H1. Receive feedback from the supervisor for the horticultural therapy program; A1. Distribute promotional materials about the horticultural therapy program; and H2. Submit a grant proposal for horticultural therapy program to organizations such as welfare foundations. The results of this study are anticipated to facilitate understanding and improve work conditions for current horticultural therapists or horticultural therapists-in-training. In addition, institutions that train horticultural therapists will be able to use this as basic research to develop a practical training curriculum.
1. Borich, C.D. 1980. A needs assessment model for conducting follow-up studies. J. Teacher Educ. 31:39-42.
2. Cascio, W.F. 1998. Applied psychology in human resource management. Upper Saddle River, Prentice-Hall, NJ.
3. Cho, D.H., D.Y. Moon, and J.U. Park. 2007a. The development of educational training program by the job analysis ship-fitters. J. Fishries Marine Sci. Educ. 19:219-228.
4. Cho, E.S. 2000. Job analysis of occupational therapist. Krivet, Seoul, Korea.
5. Cho, K.S., H.S. Kang, J.H. Kim. H.M. Son, H.J. Han, Y.H. Sung, J.W. Park, and M.S. Song. 2008. Job description of the nurses working in outpatient department by DACUM technique. J. Kor. Clinical Nursing Res. 14:31-45.
6. Cho, W.K., M.K. Cho, E.E. Im, and K.C. Son. 2007b. Studies of actual conditions of horticultural therapists' activities and the promotion of their status. J. Kor. Soc. People Plants Environ. 10:120-138.
7. Ha, S.Y. 2006. Study on programs of forest interpreter’s training courses. PhD Diss., Seoul Natl. Univ., Seoul, Korea.
8. Han, D.H. 2008. A study on the current state and the developmental direction of horticultural therapist training course. PhD Diss., Cheju Natl. Univ., Jeju, Korea.
9. Hesse, G.C. 1989. Methodological issues of research to DACUM and curriculum conference (are there really differences between the DACUM method and the curriculum conference). http:// eric.ed.gov/?id=ED313522.
10. Jung, H.J. 2006. Job analysis of music therapist. Krivet, Seoul, Korea.
11. Jung, H.M. 2005. A study on the actual conditional expection of horticultural therapy supervision: Mainly focused on the horticultural therapist and preservice horticultural therapist. MS Thesis, Dankook Univ., Cheonan, Korea.
12. Kang, M.H. 2005. Effects of horticultural intervention program on cognition, emotion, communication and problematic behavior in order adults with alzheimer. PhD Diss., Chungnam Natl. Univ., Daejeon, Korea.
13. Kim, H.S., S.K. Kim, and J.S. Kang. 2008. The study on education course for exercise instructors for dementia by DACUM job analysis. J. Kor. Gerontological Soc. 28:357-375.
14. Kim, N.R. 2007. Job analysis of therapeutic recreation. Krivet, Seoul, Korea.
15. Kim, Y.I., J.H. Jung, C.S. Lee, and M.S. Choi. 2001. Educational needs analysis of elementary teachers for technological literacy. J. Kor. Assn. Practical Arts Educ. 14:93-107.
16. King, S.L. 1999. The DACUM Process and its usefulness in task analysis for instructional developers. http://www.2.mtroyal.ca/ ~sking.
17. Norton, R. and J. Moser. 2008. DACUM handbook. 3rd ed. Ohio State Univ., Columbus, OH.
18. Oh, I.K. and J.Y. Choi. 2005. Methods for developing instruction programs. Hakjisa, Seoul, Korea.
19. Oh, P.J., I.O. Kim, Y.H. Kim, S.R. Shin, K.S. Lee, and S.J. Han. 2006a. Task analysis of Korean geriatric care managers. J. Kor. Acad. Nursing 36:770-781.
20. Oh, P.J., M.N. Lee, H.S. Kang, K.S. Kim, H.O. Kim, M.E. Sul, H.S. So, D.O. Shin, K.M. Lee, M.Y. Cho, S.Y. Choi, Y.S. Tae, and J.H. Hong. 2006b. Development and analysis of job description for Korean oncology APN. J. Kor. Oncology Nursing 6:3-14.
21. Park, J.S., C.G. Suh, and S.K. Han. 2005. Improvement of direction of job analysis for the development of vocational education and training program. Krivet, Seoul, Korea p. 59-61.
22. Park, S.A., K.C. Son, and W.K., Cho. 2012. Practice of horticultural therapy in South Korea. Acta Hort. 954:179-185.
23. Rossett, A. 1987. Training needs assessment. Educational Technology Publications, Sanddle Brook, NJ.
24. Shon, H.H. 2008. A study on the job analysis and curriculum for senior counseling personnel. J. Kor. Gerontological Soc. 28:645-662.
25. So, H.Y., J.W. Kim, J.W. Park, and N.Y. Lim. 2009. Task analysis of the job description of rehabilitation nurse based on DACUM. Kor. J. Rehabilitation Nursing 12:16-29.
26. Son, K.C., M.K, Cho, J.E. Song, S.Y. Kim, and S.S. Lee. 2006. Practice of professional horticultural therapy. Kubook, Seoul.
27. Yoon, D.Y., S.H., Cho, and E.K. Bae. 2011. A study based on the critical review of previous research on the DACUM job analysis in Korea. J. Educ. Culture 17:87-115.