Organic Agriculture Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration1
This study aimed to enhance storage and freshness of strawberry fruits and foliage vegetables by spray treatment with Chlorella vulgaris as a bio-fertilizer. The tested strain, C. vulgaris CHK0008, was isolated from an organically cultivated rice paddy and identified as C. vulgaris by its morphology and 18S rDNA and 23S rDNA sequence homology. We successfully cultured C. vulgaris CHK0008 in BG11 modified medium (BG11MM) and adjusted 2.15 × 106 cell/mL C. vulgaris CHK0008 to one OD value by measuring the optical density at 680 nm using a UV-vis spectrophotometer. The soluble solid content of ‘Seolhyang’ and ‘Yukbo’ strawberry fruits treated by spray application with C. vulgaris CHK0008 was enhanced by 22.2% and 11.5% respectively, compared to untreated controls. Additionally, the decay rates of treated ‘Seolhyang’ and ‘Yukbo’ strawberry fruits decreased 63.8% and 74.4% respectively, compared to untreated control. Surface color changes and chlorosis of leaves in leaf vegetables such as lettuce, kale, red ornamental kale, white ornamental kale and beet were observed in samples treated with water spray for 10 days after cold storage. However, the decay rate of leafy vegetables treated with foliar application of 25% C. vulgaris CHK0008 liquid culture was significantly decreased compared to that of the untreated control during storage at 4°C.
1. Andersen, R.A. 2005. Algal culturing techniques. Elsevier Academic Press, San Diego, C.A., USA. p. 239-287.
2. Bai, S.C. and Y.T. Cha. 1997. Comparison of growth and body composition in olive flounder larvae (Paralichthys olivaceus) fed domestic experimental and imported commercial microparticulated diets. J. Aquaculture 10:87-95.
3. Becker, E.W. 1994. Microalgae-biotechnology and microbiology, Cambridge studies in biotechnology Vol. 10. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.
4. Boloor, K.K., J.P. Kamat, and T.P.A. Devasagayam. 2000. Chlorophyllin as a protector of mitochondrial membranes against γ-radiation and photosensitization. Toxicology 155:63-71.
5. Cha, J.Y., J.W. Kim, B.K. Park, H.J. Jin, S.Y. Kim, and Y.S. Cho. 2008. Isolation and identification of Chlorella sp. CMS-1 and the chemical composition of its hot water extract. J. Life Sci. 18:1723-1727.
6. Cho, K.J., S.H. Han, B.Y. Kim, S.G. Hwang, K.K. Park, K.H. Yang, and A.S. Chung. 2000. Chlorophyllin suppression of Lipopolysaccharide-induced nitric oxide production in RAW 264.7 cells. Toxicol. Appl. Pharm. 166:120-127.
7. Chung, S.K. and S.H. Cho. 2003. Preservative effect of natural antimicrobial substances used as steeping and packing agent on postharvested strawberries. Korean J. Food Preserv. 10:37-40.
8. Deng, X.Y., K. Gao, and J.L. Sun. 2012. Growth characteristics and nutrient removal properties of the freshwater cyanobacterium Synechococcus sp. PCC7942 under different kinds of nitrogen sources. African J. Mic. Res. 6:4927-4931.
9. Heo, J.Y., H.J. Shin, D.H. Oh, S.K. Cho, C.J. Yang, I.K. Kong, S.S. Lee, K.S. Choi, S.H. Choi, S.C. Kim, H.Y. Choi, and I.H. Bae. 2006. Quality properties of appenzeller cheese added with Chlorella. Korean J. Food Sci. Ani. Resour. 26:525-531.
10. Hsu, C.Y., C.M. Yang, C.M. Chen, P.Y. Chao, and S.P. Hu. 2005. Effects of chlorophyll-related compounds on hydrogen peoxide induced DNA damage within human lymphocytes. J. Agric. Food Chem. 53:2746-2750.
11. Hwang, Y.S. and J.H. Ku. 2004. Effect of high molecular weight chitosan on the quality and decay of strawberry fruits. J. Agri. Sci. Chungnam Natl. Univ. Korea 31:77-86.
12. In, B.C. and J.G. Kim. 2008. Effect of precooling and harvesting at different times on respiration, browning and microbial growth of fresh-cut iceberg lettuce. Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol. 26:258-264.
13. Jeong, J.W., J.H. Jo, D.J. Kwon, and Y.B. Kim. 1990. Studies on the low temperature storage of strawberry pulp and red pepper paste by cryoprotectants. Kor. J. Food Sci. Technol. 22:434-438.
14. Kang, H.K., H.C. Choi, D.W. Kim, J. Hwangbo, J.C. Na, H.T. Bang, D.W. Kim, M.J. Kim, M.M.H. Mushtaq, R. Parvin, and J.H. Kim. 2013. Effect of dietary chlorella supplementation on growth performance, immune response, and intestinal micro flora concentration of broiler chickens. Korean J. Poult. Sci. 40:271-276.
15. Kim, S.U. and H.J. Lee. 2013. A study of consumer characteristics in organic agriculture market. J. Kor. Industrial Economics 6:1247-1270.
16. Kim, B.S., D.C. Kim, S.E. Lee, G.B. Nahm, and J.W. Jeong. 1995. Freshness prolongation of crisphead lettuce by vacuum cooling and cold-chain system. Kor. J. Food Sci. Technol. 27:546-554.
17. Kim, C.G., H.G. Jeong, and D.H. Moon. 2012. Current markets and production status of environmental-friendly agricultural product in domestic and foreign in 2012. Sustainable Agriculture Research 14:21-45.
18. Kim, C.G., H.G. Jeong, and D.H. Moon. 2013. Current markets and production status of environmental-friendly agricultural product in domestic and foreign. Korea Rural Economic Institute Agri-Policy Focus 55:1-26.
19. Kim, D.K., S.J. Kim and K.H. Lee. 2011. The effect of food choice motive on attitude and intention of purchasing organic food. Korean J. Food Culture 26:506-512.
20. Kim, S.S., M.K. Park, N.S. Oh, D.C. Kim, M.S. Han, and M.J. In. 2003. Studies on quality characteristics and shelf-life of chlorella soybean (Tofu). J. Korean Soc. Agric. Chem. Biotechnol. 46:12-15.
21. Korea Rural Economic Institute (KREI). 2010. Agricultural outlook 2010 (I). KREI, Seoul, Korea.
22. Lee, H.E. and H.C. Kim. 2012. The structural relationship of perceived value, perceived quality, environmental commitment, purchasing attitude and purchasing intention of organic food consumer. J. Tourism Sci. 99:295-318.
23. Lee, H.H., S.I. Hong, and D.N. Kim. 2013. Storage quality of Sulhyang strawberries as affected by high O atmosphere packaging. Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. 45:191-198.
24. Lee, Y.S., S. Kim, and D.H. Kim. 2009. Current status of fresh-cut market in Korea and stimulus measures. Korea Rural Economic Ins. Rpt. 602:16-19.
25. Park, J.E. and S.J. Hwang. 2010. Effect of precooling and storage temperatures on the post-harvest management of the fruits in ‘Maehyang’ and ‘Soogyeong’ strawberries for export. J. Bio-Environ. Cont. 19:366-371.
26. Park, M.K., J.M. Lee, C.H. Park, and M.J. In. 2002. Quality characteristics of Sulgidduk containing Chlorella powder. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 31:225-229.
27. Raposo, R.M., M. Filomena, C.D. Morais and R.M. Santos. 2011. Chlorella vulgaris as soil amendment: Influence of encapsulation and enrichment with rhizobacteria. Int. J. Agr. Bio. 13:719-724.
28. Shin, J.W. and Y.S. Hwang. 2001. Study on cultivation and distribution of strawberry. Proceedings of Agriculture and Life Science, Chungnam University, Daejeon, Korea. p. 257-262.
29. Stanier, R.Y., R. Kunisawa, M. Mandel, and G. Cohen-Bazire. 1971. Purification and properties of unicellular blue-green algae (order Chroococcales). Bact. Res. 35:171-205.
30. Stirk, W.A., P. Bálint, D. Tarkowská, O. Novák, G. Maróti, K. Ljung, V. Turečková, M. Strnad, V. Ördög, and J. van Staden. 2014. Effect of light on growth and endogenous hormones in Chlorella minutissima (Trebouxiophyceae). Plant Physiol. Biochem. 79:66-76.
31. Tomaselli, L. 2004. The Microalgal cell, p. 11-17. In: A. Richmond (ed). Handbook of microalgal culture. Blackwell Publishing Company, Ames, Iowa, USA.
32. Travieso, L., A. Pellón, F. Benitez, E. Sánchez, R. Borja, N. O'Farrill, and P. Weiland. 2002. Bioalga reactor: preliminary studies for heavy metals removal. Biochem. Engin. J. 12:87-91.
33. Zheng, Y., Z. Yang, and X. Chen. 2008. Effect of high oxygen atmospheres on fruit decay and quality in Chinese bayberries, strawberries and blueberries. Food Cont. 19:470-474.