Variety Testing Division, Korea Seed and Variety Service, Ministry for Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs1
Vegetable Research Division, National Institute of Horticultural & Herbal Science2
Department of Genetic Engineering, College of Natural Resources and Life Science, Dong-A University3
This study was carried out to construct a DNA profile database of 100 strawberry cultivars using microsatellite markers. Two hundred seventy four microsatellite primer pairs were screened with a set of 21 strawberry cultivars with different morphological traits. Twenty five primer pairs were selected because they produced reliable and reproducible fingerprints. These primer pairs were used to develop DNA profiles of 100 strawberry cultivars. Three to thirteen alleles were detected by each marker with an average of 7.50. The average polymorphism information content varied from 0.331 to 841 (average 0.706). Cluster analysis showed that the 100 cultivars were divided into 7 major groups reflecting geographic origin and pedigree information. Moreover, most of the cultivars could be discriminated by marker genotypes. These markers will be useful as a tool for the protection of plant breeders’ intellectual property rights in addition to providing the means to intervene seed disputes relating to variety authentication.
1. Anderson, J.A., G.A. Churchill, J.E. Autrigue, and S.D. Tanksley. 1993. Optimizing parental selection for genetic linkage maps. Genome 36:181-186.
2. Bredemeijer, G.M.M, R.J. Cooke, M.W. Ganal, R. Peeters, P. Isaac, Y. Noordijk, S. Rendell, J. Jackson, M.S. Röder, K. Wendehake, M. Dijcks, M. Amelaine, V. Wickaert, L. Bertrand, and B. Vosman. 2002. Construction and testing of a microsatellite database containing more than 500 tomato varieties. Theor. Appl. Genet. 105:1019-1026.
3. Chambers, A., S. Carle, W. Njuguna, S. Chamala, N. Bassil, V.M. Whitaker, W.B. Barbazuk, and K.M. Folta. 2013. A genome- enabled, high-throughput, and multiplexed fingerprinting platform for strawberry (Fragaria L.). Mol. Breeding 31:615-629.
4. Cho, K.H., I.R. Rho, Y.S. Cho, and P.H. Park. 2007. Analysis of genetic diversity of strawberry (Fragaria × ananassa Duch.) cultivars. Korean J. Breed. Sci. 39:447-456.
5. Cho, K.H., I.R. Rho, Y.S. Cho, and P.H. Park. 2008. Identification of Korean strawberry cultivars using DNA markers. Korean J. Breed. Sci. 40:401-407.
6. Esselink, G.D., M.J.W. Smulders, and B. Vosman. 2003. Identification of cut rose (Rosa hybrida) and rootstock varieties using robust sequence tagged microsatellite site markers. Theor. Appl. Genet. 106:277-286.
7. Govan, C.L., D.W. Simpson, A.W. Johnson, K.R. Tobutt, and D. J. Sargent. 2008. A reliable multiplexed microsatellite set for genotyping Fragaria and its use in a survey of 60 F. × ananassa cultivars. Mol .Breeding 22:649-661.
8. Honjo, M., T. Nunome, S. Kataoka, T. Yano, H. Yamazaki, M. Hamano, S. Yui. 2011. Strawberry cultivar identification based on hypervariable SSR markers. Breeding Sci. 61:420-425.
9. Kwon, Y.S. and K.J. Choi. 2013. Construction of a DNA profile database for commercial cucumber (Cucumis sativus L.) cultivars using microsatellite markers. Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol. 31: 344-351.
10. Kwon, Y.S., J.H. Hong, and K.J. Choi. 2013. Construction of a microsatellite marker database of commercial pepper cultivars. Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol. 31:580-589.
11. Kunihisa, M., N. Fukino, and S. Matsumoto. 2005. CAPS markers improved by cluster-specific amplification for identification of octoploid strawberry (Fragaria × ananassa Duch.) cultivars, and their disomic inheritance. Theor. Appl. Genet. 110:1410-1418.
12. Reid, A., L. Hof, G. Felix, B. Rücker, S. Tams, E. Milczynska, D. Esselink, G. Uenk, B. Vosman, and A. Weitz. 2011. Construction of an integrated microsatellite and key morphological characteristic database of potato varieties on the EU common catalogue. Euphytica 182:239-249.
13. Rohlf, F.J. 2000. NTSYSpc: Numerical taxonomy and multivariate analysis system, ver. 2.10b. Applied Biostatistics Inc., New York.
14. Röder, M.S., K. Wendehake, V. Korzun, G. Bredemeijer, D. Laborie, L. Bertrand, P. Isaac, S. Rendell, J. Jackson, R.J. Cooke, B. Vosman and M.W. Ganal. 2002. Construction and analysis of a microsatellite-based database of European wheat varieties. Theor. Appl. Genet. 106:67-73.
15. Sneath, P.H.A. and R.R. Sokal. 1973. Numerical taxonomy: The principles and practice of numerical classification, Freeman W.H., San Francisco.
16. Wang, F.G., H.L. Tian, J.R. Zhao, H.M. Yi, L. Wang, and W. Song. 2011. Development and characterization of a core set of SSR markers for fingerprinting analysis of Chinese maize varieties. Maydica 56:7-18.
17. Yoon, M.Y., K.T. Moe, D.Y. Kim, I.R. Rho, S. Kim, K.T. Kim, M.K. Won, J.W. Chung, and Y.J. Park. 2012. Genetic diversity and population structure analysis of strawberry (Fragaria × ananassa Duch.) using SSR markers. Electronic J. Biotechnol. 15:70-85.