Floriculture Research Division, National Institute of Horticultural & Herbal Science. Rural Development Administration,1
Exhibition Planning Team, National Institute & Ecology2
Horticulture Research Division, Gangwon-do Agricultural Research & Extension Services3
This study was conducted to investigate the effects of pretreatment and shipping temperature on leaf chlorosis in cut Lilium Oriental hybrid ‘Siberia’. Cut lilies were shipped under various temperatures (5, 10, 15, 25°C) for 5 days. When cut lilies were shipped at 25°C, leaf chlorosis was accelerated. However, chlorosis was significantly decreased by shipping at 5 to 15°C. In addition, leaf chlorosis was significantly decreased when the cut lilies were pretreated with a solution containing Promalin (BA + GA4+7) as compared to the control. Promalin completely prevented postharvest leaf chlorosis, whereas GA3 and Chrysal SVB were ineffective. Leaf chlorosis decreased more with Promalin dip treatment than with spray treatment. This pretreatment solution also extended the vase life of cut lilies. When cut lilies were pretreated with Promalin, yield (Fv/Fm) of chlorophyll fluorescence was highly maintained. Especially chlorophyll content was significant increased by Promalin treatment. Thus, shipping between 5 and 15°C and Promalin dip pretreatment significantly decreased leaf chlorosis in cut ‘Siberia’ lilies.
1. Anil, P.R. and B.M. William. 2000. Preventive mechanisms of gibberellin and light on low-temperature-induced leaf senescence in Lilium cv. Stargazer. Postharvest Biol. Technol. 19:85-92.
2. Byun, M.S., I.J. Han, and K.W. Kim. 2004. Prolongation vase life in cut Lilium longiflorum ‘Georgia’ by ethylene inhibitors and plant growth regulators. Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol. 22:236-241.
3. Dai, J.W. and R.E. Paull. 1991. Postharvest handling of alstroemeria. HortScience 26:314.
4. Ferrante, A., A. Mensuali-Sodi, and G. Serra. 2009. Effect of thidiazuron and gibberellic acid on leaf yellowing of cut stock flowers. Cent. Eur. J. Biol. 4:461-468.
5. Ferrante, A., D.A. Hunter, P.H. Wesley, and M.S. Reid. 2002. Thidiazuron - A potent inhibitor of leaf senescence in alstroemeria. Postharvest Biol. Technol. 25:333-338.
6. Ferrante, A., F. Tognoni, A. Mensuali-Sodi, and G. Serra. 2003. Treatment with thidiazuron for preventing leaf yellowing in cut tulips and chrysanthemum. Acta Hortic. 624:357-363.
7. Franco, R.E. and S.S. Han. 1997. Respiratory changes associated with growth-regulator-delayed leaf yellowing in Easter lily. J. Amer. Soc. Hort. Sci. 122:117-121.
8. Genty, B., J.M. Briantais, and N.R. Baker. 1989. The relationship between the quantum yield of photosynthetic electron transport and quenching of chlorophyll fluorescence. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 990:87-92.
9. Han, S.S. 1995. Growth regulators delay foliar chlorosis of easter lily leaves. J. Amer. Soc. Hort. Sci. 120:254-258.
10. Han, S.S. 1997. Preventing postproduction leaf yellowing in Easter lily. J. Amer. Soc. Hort. Sci. 22:869-872.
11. Hicklenton, P.R. 1991. GA and benzylaminopurine delay leaf yellowing in cut Alstroemeria stem. HortScience 26:1198-1199.
12. Hwang, S.A., J.S. Lee, P.O. Lee, Y.A. Kim, and J.K. Suh. 2007. Effect of pretreatments on vase life and flower quality of cut Lilium Oriental hybrid ‘Casa Blanca’. Flower Res. J. 15:245-249.
13. Johnson, G.N., A.J. Young, J.D. Scholes, and P. Horton. 1993. The dissipation of excess excitation energy in British plant species. Plant Cell Environ. 16:673-679.
14. Kim, H.J. and W.B. Miller. 2009. GA plus BA enhances postproduction quality in pot tulips. Postharvest Biol. Technol. 51:272-277.
15. Lee, J.L., S.W. Kwon, and J.C. Kim. 1996. Effects of field and shade culture on plastid, proline, protein, and polyamine content in Aloes. J. Kor. Soc. Hort. Sci. 37:309-312.
16. Lee, J.S., H.K. Rhee, H.E. Lee, J.W. Lee, S.Y. Choi, J.H. Lim, S.K. Park, M.S. Shim, and Y.S. Lee. 2009. Effect of dry storage period in low temperature on the vase-life and quality of cut lily flower. Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol. 27:145. (Abstr.)
17. Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (MAFRA). 2013. Statistics for floricultural industry in 2012. MAFRA, Gwacheon, Korea p. 398.
18. Ranwala, A.P., G. Legnani, and W.B. Miller. 2003. Minimizing stem elongation during spray applications of gibberellins and benzyladenine to prevent leaf chlorosis in Easter lilies. HortScience 38:1210-1213.
19. Ranwala, A.P. and W.B. Miller. 1998. Gibberellin , benzyladenine, and supplemental light improve postharvest leaf and flower quality of cold-stored ‘Stargazer’ hybrid lilies. J. Amer. Soc. Hort. Sci. 123:563-568.
20. Ranwala, A.P. and W.B. Miller. 2000. Preventive mechanisms of gibberellins and light on low-temperature- induced leaf senescence in Lilium cv. Stargazer. Postharvest Biol. Technol. 19:85-92.
21. Ranwala, A.P., W.B. Miller, T.I. Kirk, and P.A. Hammer 2000. Ancymidol drenches, reversed greenhouse temperatures, post-greenhouse cold storage, and hormone sprays affect postharvest leaf chlorosis in easter lily. J. Amer. Soc. Hort. Sci. 125:248-253.
22. Sebanek, J. 1992. Plant physiology. Elsevier Publishing Co., Amsterdam p. 255-257.
23. Son, K.C. and M.S. Han, and J.J. Choi. 1993. Effect of GA, BA, and pre-STS treatment on the longevity of cut Lilium oriental hybrid ‘Casa Blanca’. J. Kor. Flower. Res. Soc. 2:33-40.
24. Suh, J.N. and B.H. Kwack. 1994. Effects of GA and benzy-laminopurine on leaf-yellowing of cut chrysanthemum during storage. J. Kor. Soc. Hort. Sci. 35:251-257.
25. Suh, J.K. and J.H. Kim. 2004. Effects of pre-treatment and storage temperature on flowering and quality of cut Lilium oriental hybrid ‘Casa Blanca’. Kor. J. Intl. Agri. 16:99-105.
26. Suh, J.K. and J.H. Kim. 2006. Effect of plant growth substances on vase life and physiological change in cut Lilium spp. J. Korean Soc. People Plants Environ. 9:69-77.
27. Waterland, N.L., J.J. Finer, and M.L. Jones. 2010. Benzyladenine and gibberellic acid application prevents abscisic acid-induced leaf chlorosis in pansy and viola. HortScience 45:925-933.
28. Woolf, A.B., S. Combes, M. Petley, S.R. Olsson, and M. Wohlers. 2012. Hot water treatments reduce leaf yellowing and extend vase life of Asiatic hybrid lilies. Postharvest Biol. Technol. 64:9-18.