Chungcheongbuk-do Agricultural Research & Extension Services1
National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration of Korea2
This study was carried out to investigate the effects of night-time far-infrared irradiance quality of red pepper dried in greenhouses. This study involved 4 treatments: sunlight alone (control), or sunlight plus nightly far-infrared irradiation at 250 W･6.6 m-2 (250 W･6.6 m-2), far-infrared irradiation at 250 W･3.3 m-2 (250 W･3.3 m-2), or far-infrared irradiation 500 W･3.3m-2 (500 W･3.3 m-2). The drying periods were 12 days in 500 W･3.3 m-2 and 250 W･3.3 m-2, and 14 days in 250 W･6.6 m-2, and 15 days in the control. The daytime temperature was same among the treatments. The lowest temperature was at 23.8°C in control, and 29.5-37.2°C in far-infrared irradiation treatments. The marketable yield was 7-14% higher in far-infrared irradiation treatments compared to the control. The rate of marketability was higher in far-infrared irradiation treatments (93.6-96.3%) than in the control (87.0-87.5%). The American Spice Trade Association (ASTA) value was greatest in the 250 W･3.3 m-2 treatment, followed by 250 W･6.6 m-2, then 500 W･3.3 m-2, and finally the control. Capsaicinoid content showed no regular trend among the treatments. Our results provide an optimized method for reducing drying time of red pepper under sunlight, and improving the quality of dried red pepper.
1. American Spice Trade Association (ASTA). 1986. Official analytical methods of American Spice Trade Association, Englewood Cliffs, N.J., USA. p. 68.
2. Attuquayefio, V.K. and K.A. Buckle. 1987. Rapid sample preparation method for HPLC analysis of capsaicinoids in capsicum fruits and oleoresins. J. Agric. Food Chem. 35:777-779.
3. Cho, K.H., Y.H. Kim, Y.M. Kim, and Y.K. Cho. 2000. Survey on the present status of postharvest processes for red pepper. Proc. J. Kor. Soc. Agr. Mac. 5:278-284.
4. Choi, D.J., K.S. Jang, J.H. Lee, D.H. Pae, B.S. Choi, and H.D. Chung. 1997. Effects of harvesting times and drying methods of red fruit on the quality in pepper (Capsium annuum). J. Kor. Soc. Hort. Sci. 15:714-715. (Abstr.).
5. Choi, S.M., Y.S. Jeon, and K.Y. Park. 2000. Comparison of quality of red pepper powders produced in Korea. Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. 32:1251-1257.
6. Gross, J. 1991. Pepper (Capsicum annuum L.). Pigments in vegetables: Chlorophylls and carotenoids. Van Nostrand Reinhold, NY, USA p. 198-208.
7. Hwang, I.G., H.Y. Kim, J.S. Lee, H.R. Kim, M.C. Cho, I.B. Ko, and S.M. Yoo. 2011. Quality characteristics of Cheongyang pepper (Capsicum annuum L.) according to cultivation region. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 40:1340-1346.
8. Hwang, S.Y., Y.H. An, and G.M. Shin. 2001. A study on the quality of commercial red pepper powder. Korean J. Food Nutr. 14:424-428.
9. Janovitz-Klapp, A.H., F.C. Richard, P.M. Goupy, and J.J. Nicolas. 1990. Inhibition studies on apple polyphenol oxidase. J. Agric. Food Chem. 38:926-931.
10. Jeong, J.W., J.M. Seong, K.J. Park, and J.H. Lim. 2007. Quality characteristics of semi-dried red pepper (Capsicum Annuum L.) using hot-air drying. Korean J. Food Preserv. 14:591-597.
11. Kim, C.H., S.H. Ryu, M.J. Lee, J.W. Baek, H.C. Hwang, and G.S. Moon. 2004a. Characteristics of red pepper (Capsicum annuum L.) powder using N-circulated low temperature drying method. Korean J. Food Sci. Tec
12. hnol. 36:25-31.
13. Kim, E.J., C.H. Cho, J. Kim, S.Y. Seo, J. Ryu, and Y.G. Choi. 2004b. Effects of covering materials on drying period and quality of dried red pepper in plastic film house. Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Techol. 22:393-397.
14. Kim, J.Y., D.H. Keum, J.H. Park, W.W. Kang, C.S. Han, and Y.K. Lee. 1996. Evaluation of quality of red pepper with variations in drying methods. Korean J. Post-Harvest Sci. Technol. Agri. Products 3:137-143.
15. Kim, K.S., S.M. Roh, and J.R. Park 1979. Effect of light quantity (red, blue) on the major components of hot pepper fruit. Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. 11:162-165.
16. Kim, S., J.B. Park, and I.K. Wang. 2002. Quality attributes of various varieties of Korean red pepper powders (Capsicum annuum L.) and color stability during sunlight exposure. J. Food Sci. 67:2957-2961.
17. Ku, K.H., N.Y. Kim, J.B. Park, and W.A. Park. 2001. Characteristics of color and pungency in the red pepper for Kimchi. Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. 33:231-237.
18. Lee, H.D., M.H. Kim, and C.H. Lee. 1992. Relationships between the taste components and sensory preference of Korean red peppers. Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. 24:266-271.
19. Lee, G.J., M.G. Song, S.D. Kim, S.Y. Nam, K.Y. Lee, T.J. Kim, D.E. Kim, J.B. Yoon, and K.H. Choi. 2014a. Effects of diffused light materials on marketable yield and quality of sunlight dried red pepper (Capsicum annuum L.) in plastic film house. Korean J. Plant Res. 27:102-109.
20. Lee, G.J., M.G. Song, S.D. Kim, K.Y. Lee, T.J. Kim, D.E. Kim, J.W. Heo, and J.B. Yoon. 2014b. Effects of night temperature management methods on quality of drying red pepper under sunlight in plastic house. Korean J. Int. Agric. 26:48-53.
21. Lee, H.D. and C.H. Lee. 1992. Studies on the quality evaluation of Korean red pepper by color measurement. Korean J. Dietary Culture 7:105-112.
22. Lee, H.E., C.I. Lim, and K.R. Do. 2007. Changes of characteristics in red peppers by various freezing and thawing methods. Korean J. Food Preserv. 14:227-232.
23. Lim, Y.R., Y.N. Kyung, H.S. Jeong, H.Y. Kim, I.G. Hwang, S.M. Yoo, and J.S. Lee. 2012. Effects of drying methods on quality of red pepper powder. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 41:1315-1319.
24. Oh, S.H., I.G. Hwang, H.Y. Kim, C.R. Hwang, S.M. Park, Y. Hwang, S.M. Yoo, H.R. Kim, H.Y. Kim, J.S. Lee, and H.S. Jeong. 2011. Quality characteristics by particle size of red pepper powders for pepper paste and Kimchi. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 40:725-730.
25. Park, C.R. and K.J. Lee. 1975. A study on the influence of drying methods upon the chemical changes in red pepper. Korean J. Nutr. 8:173-177.
26. Rodriguez-Amaya, D.B., M. Kimura, H.T. Godoy, and J. Amaya- Farfan. 2008. Updated Brazilian database on food carotenoids: Factors affecting carotenoid composition. J. Food Compos. Anal. 21:445-463.
27. Son, S.M., J.H. Lee, and M.S. Oh. 1995. A comparative study of nutrients and taste components in Korean and imported red peppers. Korean J. Nutr. 28:53-60.
28. Son, S.M., K.D. Moon, and C.Y. Lee. 2001. Inhibitory effects of various antibrowning agents on apple slices. Food Chem. 73:23-30.
29. Vega-Gálvez, A., R. Lemus-Mondaca, C. Bilbao-Sáinz, P. Fito, and A. Andrés. 2008. Effect of air drying temperature on the quality of rehydrated dried red bell pepper (var. Lamuyo). J. Food Eng. 85:42-50.
30. Yoon, J.M., J.J. Ji, S. C. Lim, K.H. Lee, H.T. Kim, H.S. Jeong, and J.S. Lee. 2010. Changes in selected components and antioxidant and antiproliferative activity of peppers depending on cultivation. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 39:731-736.
31. Yoon, W.M. and J.Y. Lee. 2004. Effect of drying method on the fruit and powder color of red pepper. J. Nat. Sci. 15:97-109.