Department of Bioresources Engineering, Sejong University1
This study was conducted to improve the consumption of floriculture plants by researching preferences of consumers for the main types of cut flowers. We analyzed the results of surveys, carried out by a company, that were largely about roses, chrysanthemums, and lilies. After departmentalizing consumers into groups and analyzing the results through conjoint and cluster analysis, we found that consumers showed a higher rate of use based on price and vase life than on flower color and flower shape in roses. The groups of rose consumers preferred a price of 1000 won, spray type flower shape, vase life of 7-8 days, and red flower color. In chrysanthemums, consumers showed higher rate of use for flower color than for vase life, flower shape, and price. The groups of chrysanthemum consumers preferred a price of 1000 won, standard flower shape, 16-20 days vase life, and yellow flower color. In lilies, consumers showed higher use rate for flower shape than vase life, price, and flower color. Lily consumers preferred a price of 2000 won, large flower shape, 4-7 days vase life, and yellow flower color. Thus, the major cut flowers (rose, chrysanthemum, and lily) all showed highest use rates in for vase life. These results highlight the importance of understanding the characteristics of consumer interests. They also emphasize that we should plan and create market-oriented and consumer-oriented products to improve the consumption of floriculture plants.
1. Byun, M.S., K.N. Chang, J.S. Kim, M.J. Kim, and K.W. Kim. 2005. Changes tendency of the flower colors in cut Rosa hybrida cultivars. Flower Res. J. 13:347-353.
2. Byun, M.S., K.N. Chang, J.S. Kim, and K.W. Kim. 2006. The changing trend of flower types and cultivars of cut Rosa hybrida. Flower Res. J. 14:247-251.
3. Choi, M.S., C.E. Song, and K.H. Wang. 2011. Survey of consumer’s awareness on flower shop’s products and attitude of seller, and mind of consumer’s repurchase. Flower Res. J. 19:158-163.
4. Chu, D.S. 2011. The study of major factors that affect consumers’ buying behaviors in the flower market. Master thesis, Hoseo University, Asan, Korea.
5. Chu, D.S. and I.O. Jeon. 2013. Study on flower distributors of consumer buying behavior. J. Digital Policy Mgt. 11:57-71.
6. Florez, R.V.L., C.E.F. de Castro, and M.E.S.P. Dematte. 1996. Keeping quality and prolonging the postharvest longevity of spray chrysanthemum cv. White Polaris. Bragantia 55:299-307.
7. Heo, B.G., Y.J. Park, J.G. Yun, and S.H. Park. 2002. Survey of actual condition of sale according to items in flower shop and online shopping mall for flower. Flower Res. J. 10:103-108.
8. Jeong, Y.K. 2010. Analysis study of flower shop’s elling type and consumer’s buying behavior in Korea. Master thesis, Dankook University, Cheonan, Korea.
9. Kim, H.E. 2011. Research on vitalization plan of internet shopping malls for floral goods. Master thesis, Dankook University, Cheonan, Korea.
10. Kim, J.T. 2013. Expansion of Korean lily export market: Case of far east Russian market. Korean trade review 38:459-477.
11. Kim, S.J., S.K. Lee, and K.S. Kim. 2012. Current research trend of postharvest technology for chrysanthemum. Korean J. Plant Res. 25:156-168.
12. Lim, K.B. 2000. Introgression breeding through interspecific polyploidisation in lily: A molecular cytogenetic study. PhD- thesis, Wageningen University and Research Centre, The Netherlands.
13. Ministry for Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (MAFRA). 2013. Annual report of floriculture. MAFRA press, Sejong, Korea p. 12-25.
14. Ock, J.J. 2003. An analysis of the factors of effect to the consumer’s behavior in floral goods selection. Master thesis, University of Seoul, Seoul, Korea.
15. Park, I.S., S.K. Park, A.H. Naing, Y.J. Hwang, S.Y. Kang, and K.B. Lim. 2010a. Effect of drench application of growth retardants on growth and development in cut lilies. Flower Res. J. 18:165-170.
16. Park, K.H., E.M. Jeong, H.M. Kwon. 2010b. A study on the increasing export for vegetables and floricultures. Research paper R602-2. Korea Rural Economic Institute press, Seoul, Korea.
17. Park, K.H. and H.M. Kwon. 2011. A study on Japanese consumers’ preference for lilies and export expansion strategies. Korean J. Food Mktg. Economics 28:25-44.
18. Park, Y.J., B.G. Hue, C.S. Seo, J.Y. Chung. 1999. Opinions of flower shop owners about utilization and future of main cut flowers. Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol. 17:689. (Abstr.)
19. Suh, J.K. 2013. Survey of market and distribution environment and establishment of confrontation strategy for improvement of lily export. Rural Development Administration press, Suwon, Korea.