Department of Horticultural Science, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Chungnam National University1
This experiment examined the effects of preharvest Ca-chitosan spraying and short-term post-harvest treatment with high pCO2 on the shelf-life of ‘Seolhyang’ strawberry fruit. Fruit firmness decreased when harvested late in the season and was little affected by Ca-chitosan spray treatments. Short-term treatment with high pCO2 after harvest, however, significantly increased fruit firmness regardless of preharvest treatment. The combined treatment of Ca-chitosan spray and high pCO2 led to an additional increase in shelf-life through delay of skin disorder, fruit decay incidence and firmness loss during simulated marketing. The residual effects of both treatments, however, were reduced when fruit were harvested late in the season. Fruit firmness was more affected by high pCO2 treatment whereas decay and visual quality were affected by preharvest spraying with Ca-chitosan. Although more research is required to determine the optimum concentration of calcium and chitosan, and the optimal spray interval, our results show that the combined treatment of preharvest Ca-chitosan spray and postharvest high pCO2 is effective in improving strawberry fruit shelf-life by increasing firmness and delaying decay.
1. Bhaskara Reddy, M.V., K. Belkacemi, R. Corcuff, F. Castaigne, and J. Arul. 2000. Effect of pre-harvest chitosan sprays in post-harvest infection by Botrytis cinerea and quality of strawberry fruit. Postharvest Biol. Technol. 20:39-51.
2. Blumenkrantz, N. and G. Asboe-Hansen,. 1973. New method for quantitative determination of uronic acids. Anal. Biochem. 54:484-489.
3. Cheng, G.W. and D.J. Huber. 1996. Alterations in structural polysaccharides during liquefaction of tomato locule tissue. Plant Physiol. 111:447-457.
4. Chung, H.D., K.Y. Kang, S.J. Yun, and B.Y. Kim. 1993. Effect of foliar application of calcium chloride on shelf-life and quality of strawberry fruits. J. Kor. Soc. Hort. Sci. 34:7-15.
5. Crisosto, C.H., K.R. Day, R.S. Jonson, and D. Garner. 2000. Influence of in-season foliar calcium sprays on fruit quality and surface discoloration incidence of peaches and nectarines. J. Amer. Pomol. Soc. 54:118-122.
6. El-Ghaouth, A., J. Arul, A. Asselin, N. Benhamou. 1992. Antifugal activity of chitosan on post-harvest pathogens: Induction of morphological and cytological alterations in Rhizopus stolonifer. Mycol. Res. 96.9:769-779.
7. El-Ghaouth, A., J.L. Smilanick, and C.L. Wilson. 2000. Enhancement of the performance of Candida saitoana by the addition of glycolchitosan for the control of postharvest decay of apple and citrus fruit. Postharvest Biol. Technol. 19:103-110.
8. Galed, G., M.E. Fernández-Valle, A. Martínez, and A. Heras. 2004. Application of MRI to monitor the process of ripening and decay in citrus treated with chitosan solutions. Magnetic Resonance Imaging 22:127-137.
9. Goto, T., M. Goto, K. Chachin, and T. Iwata. 1995. Effect of high carbon dioxide with short-term treatment on quality of strawberry fruits. J. Japan. Soc. Food Sci. Technol. 42:176-182. (In Japanese with English summary)
10. Goto, T., M. Goto, K. Chachin, and T. Iwata. 1996. The mechanism of the increase of firmness in strawberry fruit treated with 100% CO. J. Japan. Soc. Food Sci. Technol. 43:1158-1162.
11. Han, C., Y. Zhao, S.W. Leonard, and M.G. Traber. 2004. Edible coatings to improve storability and enhance nutritional value of fresh and frozen strawberries (Fragaria × ananassa) and raspberries (Rubus ideaus). Postharvest Biol. Technol. 33:67-78.
12. Harker, F.R., H.J. Elgar, C.B. Watkins, P.J. Jackson, and I.C. Hallett. 2000. Physical and mechanical changes in strawberry fruit after high carbon dioxide treatments. Postharvest Biol. Technol. 19:139-146.
13. Hirano, S. and N. Nagao. 1989. Effects of chitosan, pectic acid, lysozyme, and chitinase on the growth of several phytopathogens. Agr. Biol. Chem. 53:3065-3066.
14. Hwang, Y.S., J.H. Min, D.Y. Kim, J.G. Kim, and D.J. Huber. 2012. Potential mechanisms associated with strawberry fruit firmness increases mediated by elevated pCO. Hort. Environ. Biotechnol. 53:52-59.
15. Ke, D., L. Goldstein, M. Omahony, and A.A. Kader. 1991. Effect of short-term exposure to low Oand high CO atmosphere on quality attributes of strawberries. J. Food Sci. 56:50-54.
16. Manganaris, G.A., M. Vasilakakis, I. Mignani, G. Diamantidis, and K. Tzavella-Klornari. 2005. The effect of preharvest calcium sprays on quality attributes, physicochemical aspects of cell wall components and susceptibility to brown rot of peach fruits (Prunus persica L. cv. Andross). Sci. Hortic. 107:43-50.
17. Matsumoto, K., Y.S. Hwang, C.H. Lee, and D.J. Huber. 2010. Changes of firmness and pectic polysaccharide solubility in three cultivars of strawberry fruit following short-term exposure to high pCO. J. Food Quality. 33:312-328.
18. Molloy, C., L.H. Cheah, and J.P. Koolaard. 2004. Induced resistance against Sclerotinia slerotiorum in carrots treats with enzymatically hydrolyzed chitosan. Postharvest Biol. Technol. 33:61-65.
19. Ruoyi, K., Y. Zhifang, and L. Zhaoxin. 2004. Effect of coating and intermittent warming on enzymes, soluble pectin substances and ascorbic acid of Prunus persica (Cv. Zhonghuashoutao) during refrigerated storage. Food Res. Intl. 38:331-336.
20. Sathiyabama, M. and R. Balasubramanian. 1998. Chitosan induces resistance components in Arachis hypogaea against leaf rust caused by Puccinia arachidis Speg. Crop Protection. 17:307-313.
21. Shahidi, F., J.K. Kamil Arachchi, and Y. Jeon. 1999. Food applications of chitin and chitosan (Review). Trends Food Sci. Technol. 10:37-51.
22. Smith, B.J. and C.L. Gupton. 1993. Calcium applications before harvest affect the severity of anthracnose fruit rot of greenhouse- grown strawberries. Acta Hort. 348:477-482.
23. Smith, R.B. and L.J. Skog. 1992. Postharvest carbon dioxide treatment enhances firmness of several cultivars of strawberry. HortScience 27:420-421.
24. Tripathi, P. and N.K. Dubey. 2004. Exploitation of natural products as an alternative strategy to control postharvest fungal rotting of fruit and vegetables (Review). Postharvest Biol. Technol. 32:235-245.
25. Ueda, Y. and J.H. Bai. 1993. Effect of short term exposure of elevated CO on flesh firmness and ester production of strawberry. J. Japan. Soc. Hort. Sci. 62:457-464.
26. Vincente, A.R., G.A. Martinez, A.R. Chaves, and P.M. Civello. 2003. Influence of self-produced CO on postharvest life of heat-treated strawberries. Postharvest Biol. Technol. 27:265-275.
27. Watkins, C.B., J.E. Manzano-Mendez, J.F. Nock, J. Zhang, and K.E. Maloney. 1999. Cultivar variation in response of strawberry fruit to high carbon dioxide treatments. J. Sci. Food Agric. 79:886-890.
28. Zhang, J.J. and C.B. Watkins. 2005. Fruit quality, fermentation products, and activities of associated enzymes during elevated CO treatment of strawberry fruit at high and low temperatures. J. Amer. Soc. Hortic. Sci. 130:124-130.