Department of Horticultural Science, Chungnam National University1
Department of Plant Sciences, North Dakota State University2
We quantified the effects of the composition and concentration of fertilizer solutions on the growth and nutrient uptake of ‘Maehyang’ strawberry at the vegetative growth stage. Acid fertilizer (AF), neutral fertilizer (NF), and basic fertilizer (BF) with concentrations of 100 or 200 mg·L-1 based on N, were formulated and applied during the 100 days after transplanting, at which point crop growth and tissue nutrient contents were analyzed. The soil solutions were sampled every two weeks to measure the pH, EC and nutrient concentrations. BF was a more effective fertilizer compared to AF and NF for growth of ‘Maehyang’ strawberry when fertilizer concentrations were controlled to 100 mg･L-1. By contrast, the fresh and dry weights were greatest in the NF treatment when fertilizer concentrations were controlled to 200 mg･L-1. The tissue contents of N, P, and Na were 2.20, 0.51 and 0.10%, respectively, in the NF 200 treatment, and these were the highest among all treatments tested. The highest contents of K, Ca and Mg were 2.60% in AF 200, 0.95% in BF 200 and 0.45% in BF 100, respectively. During the fertilization period, the highest and lowest pHs were 6.13 in BF 100 and 4.92 in AF 200. The lowest EC was 1.376 dS･m-1 in BF 100 and the highest was 4.936 dS･m-1 in NF 200 treatments. The highest NH4+ concentrations in the soil solution occurred during the AF 200 treatment, followed by those with NF 200 and AF 100. When fertilizer concentrations were equal, AF treatment gave rise to the highest Ca+2 and Mg+2 concentrations, followed by NF and BF, until day 84 of fertilization. The BF treatments had the highest NO3- concentrations followed by NF and AF. The trends for PO4-3 concentrations were similar in all fertilizer treatments when the fertilizer concentrations were equal. The above results indicate that neutral and basic fertilizers were most effective to promote ‘Maehyang’ strawberry growth when fertilizer solutions were controlled to low or high concentrations, respectively. These findings are useful for planning fertilization programs for vegetative propagation of ‘Maehyang’ strawberry.
1. Argo, W.R. and J.A. Biernbaum. 1996. The effect of lime, irrigation-water source, and water-soluble fertilizer on root-zone pH, electrical conductivity, and macronutrient management of container root media with impatiens. J. Amer. Soc. Hort. Sci. 121:442-452.
2. Bennett, W.F. 1993. Nutrient deficiencies and toxicities in crop plants. AS Press, St. Paul, Minn.
3. Bould, C., E.J. Hewitt, and P. Needham. 1983. Diagnosis of mineral disorders in plants. Vol. 1. Principles. Her Majesty Stationery Office, London.
4. Chi, S.H., K.B. Ahn, S.W. Park, and J.I. Chang. 1998. Effect of ionic strength of nutrient solution on the growth and fruit yield in hydroponically grown strawberry plants. J. Kor. Soc. Hort. Sci. 39:166-169.
5. Choi, J.M. 1994. Increased nutrient uptake efficiency by controlling nutrient release in floral crops. PhD Diss., North Carolina State Univ., Raleigh.
6. Choi, J.M. 2007. Influence of pre-plant micronutrient sources and post-plant NH:NO ratios in fertilizer solution on growth and nutrient uptake of marigold in plug culture. Hort. Environ. Biotechnol. 48:314-319.
7. Choi, J.M., I.Y. Kim, and B.G. Kim. 2009. Root media. Hagyesa, Daejeon, Korea.
8. Choi, J.M., S.K. Jeong, and K.D. Ko. 2008. Influence of NH:NO ratios in fertigation solution on appearance of ammonium toxicity, growth and nutrient uptake of ‘Maehyang’ strawberry (Fragaria × ananassa Duch.). Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol. 26:223-229.
9. Choi, J.M., S.K. Jeong, K.H. Cha, H.J. Chung, and K.S. Seo. 2000. Deficiency symptom, growth characteristics, and nutrient uptake of ‘Nyoho’ strawberry as affected by controlled nitrogen concentration in fertilizer solution. J. Kor. Soc. Hort. Sci. 41:339-344.
10. Choi, J.M., T.I. Kim, S.K. Jeong, M.K. Yoon, D.Y. Kim, and K.D. Ko. 2010. Causes, diagnosis, and corrective procedures of nutritional disorders in strawberry. Mirae Gihock, Suwon, Korea.
11. Lim, S.W. 2005. Fertilizers. Ilsinsa, Seoul, Korea. (in Korean)
12. Lindsay, W.L. 2001. Chemical equilibria in soils. The Blackburn Press. Caldwell, NJ.
13. Nelson, P.V. 2003. Greenhouse operation and management. 6th ed. Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, N.J.
14. Sonneveld, C. and W. Voogt. 2009. Plant nutrition of greenhouse crops. Springer, London.