Department of Integrative Plant Science, School of Bioresource and Bioscience, Chung-Ang University1
The purpose of this study is to suggest indicators and proper standards to forecast the sensory quality of ‘Hongisul’ grape. Further, this study determines the optimum fruit load of ‘Hongisul’ grape reflecting consumer preference. Among several quality attributes, identified through instrumental and sensory evaluation, soluble solid-acid ratio was the most useful indicator of consumer preference for ‘Hongisul’ grapes. The ideal soluble solid-acid ratio for marketable grapes was found to be higher than 86.3. Analysis on the effects of fruit load control on fruit quality revealed a negative correlation where the latter increased as the former decreased. This trend is common for all grape species. The field with a fruit load of 1,400 kg･10 a-1 exhibited a soluble solid-acid ratio of less than 86.3, uneven coloring and slow softening texture at the mature stage. However, fruit quality proved excellent in the field with a fruit load of 1,200 kg･10 a-1 or less. It is therefore proposed that fruit load should be controlled to 1,200 kg･10 a-1 or less when growing ‘Hongisul’ grapes to produce high quality grapes. We believe that this result can be used as a standard in judging harvest time and evaluating fruit quality.
1. Baldwin, E.A., J.W. Scott. M.A. Einstein, T.M.M. Malundo, R.L. Shewfelt, and K.S. Tandon. 1998. Relationship between sensory and instrumental analysis for tomato flavor. J. Amer. Soc. Hort. Sci. 123:906-915.
2. Choi, I.M., H.S. Park, M.D. Cho, and C.H. Lee. 2000. Berry production using secondary shoots in ‘Campbell Early’ grapevines. Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol. 18:378-382.
3. Colaric, M., R. Veberic, F. Stampar, and M. Hudina. 2005. Evaluation of peach and nectarine fruit quality and correlations between sensory and chemical attributes. J. Sci. Food Agr. 85:2611-2616.
4. Crisosto, C.H. and G.M. Crisosto. 2002. Understanding American and Chinese consumer acceptance of ‘Redglobe’ table grape. Postharvest Biol. Technol. 24:155-162.
5. Guidoni, S., P. Allara, and A. Schubert. 2002. Effect of cluster thinning on berry skin anthocyanin composition of Vitis vinifera cv. Nebbiolo. Am. J. Enol. Vitic. 53:224-226.
6. Ha, S.Y., Y.S. Hwang, Y.J. Yang, and Y.M. Park. 2007. Correlation between instrumental quality attributes and consubers’ sensory evaluation in refrigerated-stored ‘Campbell Early’ and ‘Kyoho’ grape. Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol. 25:125-132.
7. Irene, G.P., J. Val, and A. Blanco. 2001. The inhibition of flower bud differentiation in ‘Crimson Gold’ nectarine with GA an alternative to hand thinning. Sci. Hortic. 90:265-278.
8. Kwon, Y.H., B.H.N. Lee, S.B. Shim, K.H. Shin, K.H. Jung, I.M. Choi, and H.S. Park. 2011a. Fruit quality and freezing damage of ‘Kyoho’ grapes by girdling. Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol. 29:281-286.
9. Kwon, Y.H., Y.S. Park, J.E. Park, and H.S. Park. 2011b. Changes of fruit characteristics by fruit load control in ‘Niitaka’ and ‘Whangkembae’ pear trees on Y-trellis training system. Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol. 29:523-530.
10. Malundo, T.M.M., E.A. Baldwin, G.O. Ware, and R.L. Shewfelt. 1996. Volatile composition and interaction influence flavor properties of mango (Mangifera indica L.). Proc. Fla. State Hort. Soc. 109:264-268.
11. Mohamed, A.A., D.J. Anton, D. Matthijs, and M.F. Wim. 2001. Formation of flavonoids and chlorogenic acid in apple as affected by crop load. Sci. Hortic. 91:227-237.
12. Park, K.S., H.K. Yun, and H.S. Suh. 2006. Red table grape ‘Hongisul’. J. Amer. Pom. Soc. 60:258-29.
13. Park, S.J., S.M. Cheong, S.H. Kim, M.S. Ryou, H.C. Lee, and S.T. Jeong. 2009a. Establishment of minimum harvesting time for the girdled ‘Campbell Early’ grape. J. Bio- Env. Con. 18:502-507.
14. Park, S.J., S.M. Jung, J.B. Kim, I.M. Choi, and G.C. Song. 2009b. Marking ‘Hongisul’ grape color chart for determinate maturation. Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol. 27(Suppl. I):100. (Abstr.)
15. Shim, S.B., Y.H. Kwon, Y.P. Hong, and H.S. Park. 2007. Comparison of fruit quality and vegetative growth in ‘Kyoho’ grape by crop load and thinning. Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol. 25:389-393.
16. Shin, K.H. and H.S. Park. 2012. Fruit color improvement by ABA treatment and determination of harvesting time in ‘Hongisul’ grapes. Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol. 30:256-260.
17. Song, G.C., I.M. Choi, and M.D. Cho. 2000. Cold hardiness in relation to vine management in ‘Campbell Early’ grapevines. Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol. 18:387-390.
18. Tough, H.J., D.G. Park, K.J. Crutchley, F.B. Bartholomew, and G. Craig. 1998. Effect of crop road on mineral status, maturity and quality of ‘Braeburn’ apple fruit. Acta Hortic. 464:53-58.