Department of Horticultural Science, Chungnam National University1
Nonsan Strawberry Experiment Station, Chungcheongnam-go Agricultural Research & Extension Services2
The objective of this research was to investigate the influence of bicarbonate (HCO3-) concentrations in nutrient solution on the growth and physiological disorders in mother plants and occurrence of daughter plants in propagation of ‘Seolhyang’ strawberry (Fragaria × ananassa Duch.). To achieve this, the mother plants were transplanted to coir dust + perlite (7:3, v/v) medium and Hoagland solution was modified to contain 60, 90 (control), 120, 180, and 240 mg･L-1 of HCO3-. The symptoms of Fe, Zn and B deficiencies appeared on the mother plants in the HCO3- of 240 mg･L-1 from the 60th day after treatment. The symptoms spread to all plants in the 240 mg･L-1 HCO3- including daughter plants at 90 days after treatment. The HCO3- concentrations higher than 120 mg･L-1suppressed the growth of mother plants such as leaf number, chlorophyll content, fresh weight and other growth parameters. While the mother plants in 60 mg･L-1 HCO3- produced 23 daughter plants, while mother plants in 240 mg･L-1 HCO3- produced 13 daughter plants. The final pH 126 days after treatment in the HCO3- of 60, 90, 120, 180 and 240 mg･L-1 were 5.4, 5.8, 7.3, 7.9, and 8.3, respectively. The elevation of HCO3- concentrations in nutrient solution resulted in the decrease of Fe, Mn, Zn and Cu contents of above ground tissue 126 days after treatment. These results indicate that the HCO3- concentrations higher than 120 mg･L-1 inhibited the growth of mother plants and occurrence of daughter plants in vegetative propagation of ‘Seolhyang’ strawberry.
1. Bunt, A.C. 1988. Media and mixes for container-grown plants. 2nd ed. Unwin Hyman Ltd., London.
2. Chapman, H.D. and F.P. Parker, 1961. Methods of analysis for soils, plants, and waters. Univ. of Calif., Div. of Agr. Sci. p. 169-170.
3. Choi, J.M. 1994. Increased nutrient uptake efficiency by controlling nutrient release in floral crops. Ph.D. Diss. North Carolina State Univ., Raleigh.
4. Choi, J.M., A. Latigui, and C.W. Lee. 2013. Visual symptom and tissue nutrient contents in dry matter and petiole sap for diagnostic criteria of phosphorus nutrition for ‘Seolhyang’ strawberry cultivation. Hort. Environ. Biotechnol. 54:52-57.
5. Choi, J.M. and H.S. Lee. 2013. Influence of Ca containing fertilizers on the growth of mother and daughter plants, and physiological disorders in propagation of ‘Seolhyang’ strawberry through plastic bag cultivation. Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol. 31:50-55.
6. Choi, J.M., S.K. Jeong, and C.W. Lee. 2009. Characterization of deficiency symptoms and critical tissue concentrations of nitrogen for diagnostic use in a Korean strawberry ‘Maehyang’. Hort. Environ. Biotechnol. 50:69-73.
7. Eastin, E.F. 1978. Total nitrogen determination for plant material containing nitrate. Anal. Biochem. 85:591-594.
8. Hamrick, D. 2003. Ball red book: Crop production. 17th ed. Ball Publishing, Batavia. IL.
9. Hanan, J.J. 1998. Greenhouses: Advanced technology for protected horticulture. CRC Press, New York.
10. Hoagland, D.R. and D.I. Arnon. 1950. The water culture method for growing plants without soil. Univ. of Calif. Agri. Exp. Sta. Circular 347.
11. Jeong, S.K. 2008. Characterization of symptom and determination of tissue critical concentration for diagnostic criteria in ‘Maehyang’ strawberry. Ph.D. Diss., Pai Chai Univ., Daejeon, Korea.
12. Lindsay, W.L. 2001. Chemical equlibria in soils. The Blackburn Press, Caldwell, NJ.
13. Marschner, H. 1995. Mineral nutrition of higher plants. 2nd ed. Academic Press Inc., San Diego, USA.
14. Nelson, P.V. 2003. Greenhouse operation and management. 6th ed. Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ.
15. Styer, R.C. and D.S. Koranski. 1997. Plug & transplant production: A growers guide. Ball Publishing, Batavia, IL.
16. Warncke, P.D. 1986. Analyzing greenhouse growth media by the saturation extraction method. HortScience 211:223-225.
17. Whipker, B.E., P.A. Hammer, P.V. Nelson, W.C. Fontenol, and D.A. Bailey. 1996. Development and assessment of an acidification calculator for irrigation water alkalinity regulation. HortScience 31(Suppl.):752.