Department of Horticultural Biotechnology, Kyung Hee University1
We investigate the effect of post-conditioning periods and seed orientation on the vigor of cucurbit seeds with dry heat treatment (DHT). All the dry-heat treated seeds exhibited varying degree of seed vigor decreases. In general, pumpkin seeds showed less vigor decreases than the bottle gourd seeds. When the dry heat treated seeds were germinated after post-conditioning for 0, 30, and 120 days, the percentage of germination was enhanced by increasing the period of post-conditioning and the efficiency of post-conditioning differed by crop and cultivar. In both bottle gourd and pumpkin, the vigor of seeds placed in vertically upward and horizontal orientations was higher than that of the seeds placed in the vertically downward orientation. The results suggested that the vigor of dry-heat treated seeds could be improved by applying the proper post-conditioning and seed orientation.
1. Avgelis, A.D. and V.I. Manios. 1992. Elimination of cucumber green mottle mosaic tobamovirus by composting infected cucumber residues. Acta Hort. 302:311-314.
2. Bosy, J. and L.W. Aarssen. 1995. The effect of seed orientation on germination in a uniform environment: Differential success without genetic or environmental variation. J. Ecol. 83:769-773.
3. Bowers, S.A. and C.W. Hayden. 1972. Influence of seed orientation on bean seedling emergence. Agron. J. 64:736-738.
4. Cantliffe, D.J. 1984. Seed orientation, seed quality and their effect on emergence and sex expression in cucumber. Proc. Fla. State Hort. Soc. 97:174-176.
5. Choi, J.M., J.W. Ahn, and J.H. Ku. 2008. Growth and nutrient contents of hot pepper plug seedling as influenced by root medium formulations and pre-planting fertilizer levels. Hort. Environ. Biotechnol. 49:197-202.
6. Gurunathan, N. and P. Srimathi. 2011. Influence of seed orientation at different depths of sowing in Jatropha curcas. Range Mgt. Agroforestry 32:100-103.
7. Jaskani, M.J., S.W. Kwon, D.H. Kim, and H. Abbas. 2006. Seed treatments and orientation affects germination and seedling emergence in tetraploid watermelon. Pak. J. Bot. 38:89-98.
8. Jeong, S.W., J.C. Park, and M.R. Huh. 2009. Growth inhibition, seedling damage, and antioxidant change of cucumber plug- transplants in response to UV spectra and irradiation timing. Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol. 27:12-17.
9. Kim, D.E., H.K. Cho, Y.S. Chang, J.G. Kim, H.H. Kim, and J.R. Son. 2007. Development of an automatic seeding system using machine vision for seed line-up of cucurbitaceous vegetables. J. Biosystems Eng. 32:179-189.
10. Kim, D.H. and J.M. Lee. 2000. Seed treatment for cucumber green mottle mosaic virus (CGMMV) in gourd (Lagenaria siceraria) seeds and its detection. J. Kor. Soc. Hort. Sci. 41:1-6.
11. Kim, I.S., C. Zhang, H.M. Kang, and B. Mackay. 2008. Control of strectching of cucumber and tomato plug seedlings using supplemental light. Hort. Environ. Biotechnol. 49:287-292.
12. Korea Institute of Planning & Evaluation for Technology in Food, Agriculture, Forestry & Fisheries (IPET). 2003. Development of dry heat treatment technique for vegetable seeds. IPET, Anyang, Korea p. 145.
13. Latimer, J.G. 1998. Mechanical conditioning to control height. HortTechnology 8:529-534.
14. Lee, J.M. 2004. Seed enhancement for healthy seedlings. APSA Tech. Rept. No.40.
15. Masilamani, P., B.G. Singh, C. Chinnusamy, and K. Annadurai. 1999. Influence of seed orientation and depth of sowing on germination and vigour of Anjan (Hardwickia binate Roxb). Trop. Agricultural Res. Ext. 2:76-78.
16. Nascimento, W.M. and S.H. West. 1998. Priming and seed orien-tation affected seedcoat adherence and seedling development of muskmelon transplant. HortScience 33:847-848.
17. Rajjou, L. and I. Debeaujon. 2008. Seed longevity: Survival and maintenance of high germination ability of dry seeds. C. R. Biologies 331:796-805.
18. Shin, K.H. and W.S. Kim. 1997. Effects of irrigation method on the quality and growth of vegetable plug seedlings. J. Kor. Soc. Hort. Sci. 15:399-400.
19. Son, K.C. and M.I. Lee. 1998. Effects of DIF and temperature drop/rise on the stem elongation of plug seedlings of Salvia splendens. J. Kor. Soc. Hort. Sci. 39:615-620.
20. Sun, E.S., H.M. Kang, Y.S. Kim, and I.S. Kim. 2010. Effects of seed soaking treatment of diniconazol on the inhibition of stretching of tomato and cucumber seedlings. J. Bio-Environ. Control 19:55-62.
21. Torres, G., J. Vossenkemper, W. Raun, and R. Taylor. 2011. Maize (Zea mays) leaf angle and emergence as affected by seed orientation at planting. Expl. Agric. 47:579-592.