College of Applied Life Sciences, Jeju National University1
College of Applied Life Sciences, Jeju National University2
This study was conducted to investigated effects of water relation of mulching and trickle irrigation on the external and internal fruit quality in Satsuma mandarin grafted on trifoliate orange rootstock in a orchard assigned to randomly three groups; whole period of Tyvex mulching (TM), Tyvex mulching with trickle irrigation once a week from October 22 to harvesting season (WM) and non-mulching treatment (NM). The average soil moisture content in the TM was lower than the WM during the time of trickle irrigation from Oct. 21 to Nov. 28. The leaf water potential was at the level of Ψmax of -1.5 to -2.5 MPa during whole period of Tyvex mulching treatment but gradually increased at the point of supplement of water. The water and osmotic potential in juice vesicle was decreased by drought but increased again in response to the supply of water in WM. The total soluble solids (TSS) in fruit juice was increased by drought stress, but diminished in response to supply of water after drought. The content of titratible acidity was increased by drought stress but gradually decreased due to supplement of water after drought, reached it at the level of 1%. It was suggested that the accumulation of the total soluble solids compensates the degree of active osmoregulation and the decrease in content of acidity accounts for the fast respiration and water uptake resulted of the water after drought.
1. Aharoni, Y. 1968. Respiration of oranges and grapefruits harvested at different stages of development. Plant Physiol. 43:99-102.
2. Baek, J.H., H.R. Han, H.N. Hyun, D.K. Moon, and H.C. Lim. 1992. Effects of polyethylene film mulch on soil moisture and fruit quality of satsuma mandarin - 2. Effects of P. E. film mulch and root pruning on Brix, Brix/acid ratio and fruit width. J. Kor. Soc. Hort. Sci. 10:112-113.
3. Chae, C.W., K.J. Song, and D.K. Moon. 2007. Effect of the season of drought stress on the free sugar concentration and sugar-related enzyme activity in fruit juice of early-maturing satsuma mandarin. Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol. 25:241-247.
4. Choi, D.G., B.S. Seo, and I.N. Kang. 2009. Changes of soil, growth, and fruit quality by soil surface management under tree in sod culture of apple orchard. Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol. 27:174-180.
5. Huang, X.M., H.M. Huang, and F.F. Gao. 2000. The growth potential generated in citrus fruit under water stress and its relevant mechanisms. Sci. Hort. 83:227-240.
6. Hyun, H.N., H.C. Lim, H.R. Han, and D.K. Moon. 1993. Effects of polyethylene film mulching and root pruning on soil water and fruit quality of sastsuma mandarin (Citrus unshiu). J. Kor. Soc. Hort. Sci. 34:368-377.
7. Iwagaki, I. 1997. Citrus production in Japan: New trends in technology. http://www.agnet.org/library.php?func=view&style= type&id=20110802100427.
8. Kadoya, K., K. Kameda, S. Chikaizumi, and K. Matsumoto. 1973. Studies on the hydro-physiological rhythms of citrus trees I. Cyclic fluctuations of leaf thickness and stem diameter of Natsudaidai seedlings. J. Japan. Soc. Hort. Sci. 44:260-264.
9. Kasperbauer, M.J., J. H. Loughrin, and S.Y. Wang. 2001. Light reflected from red mulch to ripening strawberries affect aroma, sugar and organic acid concentrations. Photochem. Photobiol. 74:103-107.
10. Kaufman, M.R. 1970. Water potential components in growing citrus fruits. Plant Physiol. 46:145-149.
11. Lee, J.H. 2011. Study on reduction of acidity of Satsuma mandarin by heat treatment. MsD. Diss., Jeju Natl. Univ., Jeju, Korea.
12. Maotani, T. and Y. Machida. 1980. Leaf water potential as an indicator irrigation timing for satsuma mandarin trees in summer. J. Japan. Soc. Hort. Sci. 49:41-48.
13. Moon, D.Y. 1982. Studies on the leaf water potential of Satsuma mandarin tree. MS. D. Diss., Jeju Natl. Univ., Jeju, Korea.
14. Mukai, H., T. Takagi, Y. Teshima, and T. Suzuki. 1996. Sugar contents in parts of fruit of satsuma mandarin tree under water stress in autumn. J. Japan. Soc. Hort. Sci. 65:478-485.
15. Syvertsen, J.P. and L.G. Albrigo. 1980. Some effect of grapefruit tree canopy position on microclimate, water relations, fruit yield, and juice quality. J. Amer. Soc. Hort. Sci. 105:454-459.
16. Yakushiji, H., K. Morinaga, and H. Nonami, 1998. Sugar accu-mulation and partitioning in satsuma mandarin trees tissues and fruit in response o drought stress. J. Amer. Soc. Hort. Sci. 123:719-726.
17. Yakushiji, H., H. Nonami, T. Fukuyama, S. Ono, N. Takagi, and Y. Hashimoto. 1996. Sugar accumulation enhanced by osmoregulation in satsuma mandarin fruit. J. Japan. Soc. Hort. Sci. 121:466-472.